Discuss Type of MCB ......................... in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Ok. Not soley for domestic but you know what I mean.

There is little in a domestic that requires a Type C.

Installing MCBs that trip at 5-10 times the current rather than 2-3 times should not be installed unless required.

Having a few LED downlights will not require a Type C.

In the days of predominate tungsten lighting I always fitted C 6A on lighting to prevent nuisance tripping from a failing lamp. B or C is mindset providing ADS is provided it is totally irrelevant.

I used to fit C type for the old toroid type wound transformers feeding several halogen downlights with individual outputs, apart from that always B.

My whole house is LED with the largest number on one switch six and all on a Type B.

Ok. Not soley for domestic but you know what I mean.

There is little in a domestic that requires a Type C.

Installing MCBs that trip at 5-10 times the current rather than 2-3 times should not be installed unless required.

Having a few LED downlights will not require a Type C.
I don't actually know what you mean.

I think a lot of it is down to availability too. We buy what the wholesalers have in for domestic stock. The wholesalers will be supplied with the devices that the manufacturers supply for domestic use.
This is generally a range of 6kA B curve breakers. You would have to specifically design for and request a C curve usually.

For instance Hager only do B curve mcbs in their 6kA range, and their reduced height RCBOs (aimed at consumer unit installation) at 6kA are all B curve.

There is no line of separation between a so called domestic protective device and a device for other purposes, it is mindset.

Back along with wire wound transformers d type was the one to use unless to completely dropped the loading of the circuit.
Don’t you remember walking into a a room and hearing the transformer start!

The product standard is EN60898 or EN61009 it is the type characteristics which define the intent.

I was meaning the difference between 60898 and 60947-2, but I think I may be getting a little lost in the argument.
My point was that if a manufacturer's 60898 offerings are solely B curve, that could be a reason why it has become mindset to install them as default.

Reply to Type of MCB ......................... in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock