Discuss UFH + Radiators + Combi in the Central Heating Systems area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hello all,
Im not an electrician, but please don't bite.
I am renovating a house, and receiving conflicting advice / quotes from electricians, and don't know which is correct, and so I'm looking for a bit of confirmation.

My plumber has installed the pipe work, and boiler. The UFH is yet to be laid.

The system description is:
Combi boiler (Baxi Duotec 40).
Downstairs UFH with 3 zones. I have purchased the kit from the underfloorheatingstore, and also purchased a UH4 HeatMiser wiring centre, manifold incl pump and actuators, and 4 x Heatmiser Neo thermostats.

Upstairs is radiator heating.

I have had 3 electricians round so far, and each suggesting a different layout.

1) Wire the rads thermostat straight to the 2 way valve on Radiator pipes.
2) Use 2 wiring centres, one for UFH, one for radiators?
3) Us the Heat Miser wiring centre for all.

I'm a bit confused, and have lost a bit of faith in the guys coming to the house, and so I'm coming to this board to try and get a clear idea of what is the ideal setup.

I've attached a picture of what I think is the best solution, but I'm not an electrician.

Thanks for any help.

UFH + Radiators + Combi ufh wiring.JPG - EletriciansForums.net

Not done many wet UFH systems myself, but did one recently. House with mainly radiators, UFH in kitchen extension. Done simply with S-Plan valves & wiring. Have you enquired with the retailor/manufacturer of your supplied UFH?

The bottom part of the diagram above comes from the manufacturer. I Can give them a call, but not sure I should be doing that, but rather my electrician?

Hi

I would not bother with wiring centre unless you want each room controlled seperatly. ( no point in my view as you wood have to set all stats the same or near the same)

If you buy wiring centres then you would need stats, actators and also labouring. unnecessary expense me thinks.

I would have a nest 2nd gen ( because you have a combi) doing ufh and another stat doing yours rads.

Had ufh done in my house bought wiring centre and actuators never used them.

I would do as sparky no1, wire up stat directly to wiring centre opening zone valve. Though i have suspicions that youve had no electricians round and your stuck between thoose 3 options.
Dont know what @Sparkie30 is on..

A lot of it depends on the physical layout. The heatmiser wiring centre will need to be adjacent to the manifold, so if the zone valve and boiler are miles away it could make sense to use an additional wiring centre. Either way you'd need 5 core from valve to wiring centre.
I'm trying to decide if you need another 2 port valve on this setup.. I guess not, in that if the rads are calling for heat but the ufh isn't, then the actuators on the manifold will be closed so the ufh won't heat up. Which begs the question why when I've wired up these systems on an s plan with a cylinder, the plumbers have always fitted 3 2 port valve, 1 for each zone?

Thanks for the replys.
The heatmiser and manifold will be next to each other, and within 3m of the boiler and zone valve.
I don't think I need a 2nd 2 port valve, there is a "blending valve" on the UFH loop, which blends hot water from the boiler when the UFH need sheating up (remember the UFH runs at less than 40 degrees, but the radiator central heating at around 60 - 70 degrees).

But don't take my word on this, I'm not in a trade (I work in a factory), just trying to get a clear understanding of what I'm paying for.

At first glance I would say the three options presented are all viable and it’s just a case of personal preference on the part of each electrician.
There’s simply more than one way of achieving the desired result, it doesn’t necessarily mean any of them are wrong.

Thanks for the replys.
The heatmiser and manifold will be next to each other, and within 3m of the boiler and zone valve.
I don't think I need a 2nd 2 port valve, there is a "blending valve" on the UFH loop, which blends hot water from the boiler when the UFH need sheating up (remember the UFH runs at less than 40 degrees, but the radiator central heating at around 60 - 70 degrees).

But don't take my word on this, I'm not in a trade (I work in a factory), just trying to get a clear understanding of what I'm paying for.

Your correct that there is a 'blending valve' on the manifold for the UFH, but as far as I'm aware (I'm not a plumber), you still require a zone valve for the UFH zone. That was the manufacturers instructions for the UFH heating pack, the 'blending valve' in my case worked thermostatically, like a shower valve, mixing heated water from the boiler, the UFH stat called for that from the boiler.

I would suggest you contact your manufacturer to verify, plumbing & electrical requirements.

Reply to UFH + Radiators + Combi in the Central Heating Systems area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock