Discuss UK Domestic question - changing a wall socket in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

Matt1971

Hi all,

I have a few wall old fashioned wall sockets, the ones without the switch.

How easy is it to change the socket for one with a switch?

I am no electrician but I know how to put put a plug on an electrical device :) and of course I also know that
I have to switch of the supply at the consumer unit hehe

Thanks for any advice!

Matthew

It's not as easy as you think mate. The actual changing of the sockets is easy but it's the testing bit afterward where you will struggle. A further complication could be the cables themselves, if they're old and in a poor condition they will need to be handled carefully. Hats off to you for being willing to have a go but best advice is get a sparky in.

If you are competant at general DIY,and have some experience of electrics,there is no reason at all why you cant change a like for like socket. There is a lot that can go wrong though,even with something this simple....as you are asking the question I assume you are unsure,so my advice would be to get an electrician to do it....max 1 hour labour if you get a local guy in.

As with most electrics, it is quite simple if everything goes correctly. The skill is knowing what to look for.

I would not charge much for this at all.

Seriously why only tea and biscuits?

I was frustrated that one on job clients were splitting a bottle of wine, giving me tea.
Admittedly they were happy to give a glass when I asked, but seriously, is it that much to hope for someone to offer a beer or a glass of wine when you are working?

You have a beer while working?
used to be the norm 30+ years ago. down the pub for lunch, 2 pints, back to work. and nobody ever said " you can't smoke in here" either.

I know it was the norm but then again drinking and driving was not always illegal. Just me being ---- probably but if it impairs my ability in any way I leave it alone till work and driving are done.
NB I'm not trying to take any moral high ground here,

A long time ago I was working in a brewery for a few evenings. Every day security came around and asked me if I wanted any beer. Unfortunately a 60 mile drive home prevented me from taking advantage of their hospitality as I could not take it away. Aparantly one of the perks of working in a brewery.

Reply to UK Domestic question - changing a wall socket in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net