Discuss UK lighting for smart switch made in China! in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi, have just received a smart light switch ordered off Amazon UK which on receipt has been manufactured in china with wiring installation instructions that don't seem to relate to UK.. :-O

I have a two gang one way fitting which seemed perfect for the switch as ordered - at the moment I have a live red cable which is connected across both gangs in existing switch and a yellow and a blue cable, one to each gang to complete the circuit of each light unit..

The new smart switch seems to require a Live (my red OK?) an neutral core ..???? and L1 and L2 load cables to each light..(my yellow and blue?) That's 4 cables, I only have 3!! Looks like I am missing a neutral core... OK it's 20 years since our house was rewired - is that my problem? Is there any way to wire in the new Smart switch?

If it is not suitable for general UK lighting wiring installations I am a little mythed that it is for sale on Amazon UK with no attention to this small fact!

It's not that it's not suitable for UK wiring just that your lighting was wired without a neutral at the switch. This was common practice at the time as was looping the neutrals at the switch. You just got unlucky with the way yours was wired.

Reply to UK lighting for smart switch made in China! in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

Hi, i’ve been trying to buy a smart switch 1 gang 1 way but i opened my conventional wall switch and i only have 1 red wire(Live Old UK) 1 black...
Replies
Views
I genuinely can't find a 3 gang 3 way black smart light switch - any ideas where I can get one from? Seems to be hard to get hold of?
Replies
Views
Hello, I'm replacing standard light switches in my hall and landing with touch switches (not smart, just touch on/off) like these from Amazon...
Replies
Views
Hi, I’m looking to install 3 meross smart switches for 3 lights: entrance switch: only 1 gang but 3 way switch bedroom switch: 2 gang (1 is 1...
Replies
Views
I can't seem to find the right answer for a smart switch installation for a light that has THREE switches. There's conflicting information, and...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock