Discuss UK/London rewire pricing?? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Okay so i've got a 3 bedroom house to rewire and i need to give the client a quote.
This will be my first own rewire, but i've done a few with other electricians i've worked with in the past, simple but messy. Just finished my apprenticeship too, so i'm not too bothered about making a killing off of it, i would like to get the job mainly for the experience but at a worthy price.

The house will have
29 socket points (including double/single/spurs)
11 or 12 switches (for lights)
10 basic lighting points (pendant/bulkhead)
9 downlight points
2 wall lights
1 heat and 2 smoke detectors
Ex fan + isolator /
Electric oven supply (switch and outlet connection)
A cable run and coiled up for a shed supply (when the shed is built in the future)
Electric shower supply (isolator and shower connection)
Consumer unit fit + double pole isolator
Bonding gas + water

Note: they are having the walls plastered so i don't need to make good. the fan hole is already drilled out. house is non occupied, but they are having some small works done before/while we rewire.

The price I have come up with is £3800 but I feel as if this is too low..

What would be a good price for all this work to be done?
Also any ideas/formulas on how to calculate the pricing will be much appreciated!
Also do you add a mark up percentage or anything on materials? If so how much?

Evening,
Where in London is this?
15 to 20% mark up on materials.
What spec is this, split/rcbo etc?
Not sure we're you are exactly but being London might be a bit low. I'm southwest & if that was rcbo I'd be around that mark minimum.
Understand what you are saying about only just qualified or whatever etc, however it has no relevance, you can do the job or you can ou can't. Price accordingly or you are selling us all down the river.
What your requests for additions, "while your here, could you just", etc, get you variations signed off, they add up quick!
Also when you put your price in don't give a full breakdown on materials, just a general overview on items agreed with client, you give a full breakdown & some ------- will undercut you & nick your spec because they couldn't wok it out for themselves.
Good luck

At a rough estimate I’d say you're about 40-50% too cheap. Hard to say without looking at spec. , type of dwelling and location. (parking, C.C. Etc etc)

Evening,
Where in London is this?
15 to 20% mark up on materials.
What spec is this, split/rcbo etc?
Not sure we're you are exactly but being London might be a bit low. I'm southwest & if that was rcbo I'd be around that mark minimum.
Understand what you are saying about only just qualified or whatever etc, however it has no relevance, you can do the job or you can ou can't. Price accordingly or you are selling us all down the river.
What your requests for additions, "while your here, could you just", etc, get you variations signed off, they add up quick!
Also when you put your price in don't give a full breakdown on materials, just a general overview on items agreed with client, you give a full breakdown & some ------- will undercut you & nick your spec because they couldn't wok it out for themselves.
Good luck
Hi sorry I should’ve specified that the £3800 is labour only, the materials is coming up to around £750-800. So materials included will be £4600 let’s say. So would you say £800+15/20% on top? The spec will be a split rcd. The client has asked for a basic rewire. I also forgot to mention that the client is a good friend of my cousin. I know them too.
[automerge]1595972369[/automerge]
At a rough estimate I’d say you're about 40-50% too cheap. Hard to say without looking at spec. , type of dwelling and location. (parking, C.C. Etc etc)
Forgot to specify that £3800 is the labour price. Materials are coming up to around £800. There is a driveway so no parking charge. Terraced house. Location Romford/Essex (outskirts of London)
[automerge]1595972479[/automerge]
I get it to around £5000 and that's up North so it would be even dearer in London.
Are you able to notify all this work?
The price of £3800 is labour only, with materials it’s about £4600. What do you mean by notify the work? I’ve read something about telling building control but I haven’t read too much into that yet. I have an electrician who will give it an initial verification install cert.
[automerge]1595972552[/automerge]
That would be £4500-£4800 ish down here mate so I’d say way to cheap for London.....you’ll need to put a parking ticket a day on that at least ?
Labour and materials included will be £4600. It’s on the outskirts of London, Romford to be precise. So no parking tickets.

Last edited:
By law,you have to notify Building Control if you have done new circuits,consumer unit etc.You either have to be in a scheme(NIC,NAPIT) or you pay the council to notify it,which can be up to £300.You will also have to issue an DEIC certificate.
Sooo what would my best option be? I'm not registered to anything, only got my apprenticeship qualifications lol. Can I still notify the council myself? Or could I get the electrician who will test my install to notify them? Also what is a DEIC cert? I'm guessing you meant EIC electrical install cert?
Also I know this is another question now, but does anyone actually notify building control for new circuits or a consumer unit change etc? Seems a bit excessive.

We all notify through our respective schemes mate that’s the point of em, if you can find a spark who registered for third party work and is also willing to do it then yep he/she can notify....,but they are thin on the ground...

If your going to be rewiring houses then you need to join a scheme.You cannot notify them without being in a scheme or direct which costs the £300.As Baddegg says you might find an electrician who could do the notification.
DEIC is Domestic Electrical Installation Certificate.
To answer your question above,all registered electricians notify their work as and when needed.The house owner would need the certificates when renting or selling the house so it needs notifying to comply with the law.

I live in north surrey but have done a fair amount of work in London.
the rewire alone comes out at £7000 using my current price list. Full rcbo consumer unit and decent brand wiring accessories,
i am not vat registered.
if their is Street parking charges This will go on top at £40 per day For however many days it takes.
(I allowed £250 for the cable run to the shed (4mm swa) but it could be less Depending on how close The shed is)

We all notify through our respective schemes mate that’s the point of em, if you can find a spark who registered for third party work and is also willing to do it then yep he/she can notify....,but they are thin on the ground...
The tester has said he will notify building control once they have tested the install.
[automerge]1596037480[/automerge]
I live in north surrey but have done a fair amount of work in London.
the rewire alone comes out at £7000 using my current price list. Full rcbo consumer unit and decent brand wiring accessories,
i am not vat registered.
if their is Street parking charges This will go on top at £40 per day For however many days it takes.
(I allowed £250 for the cable run to the shed (4mm swa) but it could be less Depending on how close The shed is)
Hi would you mind sharing your method of pricing please? Do you charge per point? The same for all points or?
Also for the shed supply I am only running it from the consumer unit to the start point of the garden just so that if they plaster/floor the property it won’t be a nightmare to run in the future, I am not terminating it.
[automerge]1596037559[/automerge]
If your going to be rewiring houses then you need to join a scheme.You cannot notify them without being in a scheme or direct which costs the £300.As Baddegg says you might find an electrician who could do the notification.
DEIC is Domestic Electrical Installation Certificate.
To answer your question above,all registered electricians notify their work as and when needed.The house owner would need the certificates when renting or selling the house so it needs notifying to comply with the law.
The tester who has said he will do the initial verification said he will notify building control for me.
[automerge]1596037695[/automerge]
Any methods on pricing then guys? You’ve told me rough prices, but how do you get to them prices normally? How much do you charge per point DS/Switch/Light etc?

Last edited:
ppelec , my prices are based upon experience of looking at what a customer wants and how much I think the job is worth...
pricing a job on a ‘points‘ based system has never really worked for me.
i usually work out the materials using a wholesalers price and then decide how labour intensive the job is (how long it will take).
one think I have learned is that most jobs take longer than you anticipate,
so if you think you can bang out the rewire in say 8 days , it will take you 10

Okay so i've got a 3 bedroom house to rewire and i need to give the client a quote.
This will be my first own rewire, but i've done a few with other electricians i've worked with in the past, simple but messy. Just finished my apprenticeship too, so i'm not too bothered about making a killing off of it, i would like to get the job mainly for the experience but at a worthy price.

The house will have
29 socket points (including double/single/spurs)
11 or 12 switches (for lights)
10 basic lighting points (pendant/bulkhead)
9 downlight points
2 wall lights
1 heat and 2 smoke detectors
Ex fan + isolator /
Electric oven supply (switch and outlet connection)
A cable run and coiled up for a shed supply (when the shed is built in the future)
Electric shower supply (isolator and shower connection)
Consumer unit fit + double pole isolator
Bonding gas + water

Note: they are having the walls plastered so i don't need to make good. the fan hole is already drilled out. house is non occupied, but they are having some small works done before/while we rewire.

The price I have come up with is £3800 but I feel as if this is too low..

What would be a good price for all this work to be done?
Also any ideas/formulas on how to calculate the pricing will be much appreciated!
Also do you add a mark up percentage or anything on materials? If so how much?
How much per hour do you want to earn?
How many hours will the job take to complete?
Multiply those 2 figures together and add on the materials and parking charges

How much per hour do you want to earn?
How many hours will the job take to complete?
Multiply those 2 figures together and add on the materials and parking charges
As it is my first rewire as my own, I am unsure how many hours it will take and if I price it this way, mentally I will feel as if I am losing out. Maybe in the future. I’m pricing per point. 50/ds/switches/wall lights - 40/pendants/smokes - 50/first downlight then 35 for every downlight after that in each room along those lines. Bit low I think but I’ll see how it goes

The Electrician who is going to test and sign it off needs to be involved in the design,construction.....if he is not third party registered then he cannot sign it off........its smelling fishy also do you have the correct insurance to cover this work

The Electrician who is going to test and sign it off needs to be involved in the design,construction.....if he is not third party registered then he cannot sign it off........its smelling fishy also do you have the correct insurance to cover this work
But why’s that? On the installation certificate it has separate sections for the designer constructor and tester. Me being the designer and constructor and him being the tester. I will obviously run through with him how I’ve done things in terms of designing and installation where I’ve complied with regs and a normal high standard of work. I will picture/video things for him also.

Why is it smelling fishy? And what insurance would I need for this? Guessing public liability insurance? Is that compulsory? I mean I know I’m taking a slight risk without it but if it’s going to be a new install and I’m not faffing with someone’s else’s dodgy mess so there’s a slim chance anyone will be injured/shocked. The install will be tested also. There’s nothing to really damage apart from walls and floorboards. I’m not really busy on the private jobs and I’m still picking these things up as I go along so go easy on me... I’m not saying I’m never going to get the liability insurance but I barely get private jobs for me to even bother getting it.

Reply to UK/London rewire pricing?? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock