Discuss Uk to US conversion for hot tub in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Good afternoon!

Looking for some help if anyone has come across something like this before.
I have a friend in America who has bought a hot tub from the uk (originally China).
It has a 3 phase breaker however can be wired as a single phase with the wire just looped in and out at the top of the breaker.
Everything works in the uk no problems, however in the US they seem to be having problems just wiring it having just 110v from a single Hot cable and 220v from 2 Hot cables. I asked the China supplier and he said the motors are fine for this but I’m unsure if they just need the 110v or 220v as there is no indication on anything.
Any help would be great.

Good afternoon!

Looking for some help if anyone has come across something like this before.
I have a friend in America who has bought a hot tub from the uk (originally China).
It has a 3 phase breaker however can be wired as a single phase with the wire just looped in and out at the top of the breaker.
Everything works in the uk no problems, however in the US they seem to be having problems just wiring it having just 110v from a single Hot cable and 220v from 2 Hot cables. I asked the China supplier and he said the motors are fine for this but I’m unsure if they just need the 110v or 220v as there is no indication on anything.
Any help would be great.
https://www.pooleyinc.com/pdf/SEW Voltages of the World.pdf

To get the right voltage across the unit, it would need to be connected for single-phase, with one hot in place of the single-phase line and one hot in place of the neutral. The supply neutral would not be used. However, there may be safety implications because US domestic 220-240V supplies are centre-tapped to ground, with 120V hot-neutral and 240V hot-hot. If the hot-tub is designed for European single- or 3-phase supplies, it will only have OCPD and switching in the line connections, not in the neutral, and may require this added or the connections to the controller modified to ensure safety.

Good point - pumps with induction motors probably won't like it. They will run too fast and be underpowered.

Reply to Uk to US conversion for hot tub in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net