Discuss (UK) Would it be hard for a sex offender to become an electrician and keep a job? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
These are for charges relating to when I was young and dumb but I now have to register as a sex offender for life with an indefinite SHPO. I'm not seeking any forgiveness.

I'm looking to become an electrician or something within the trades but I'm worrying whether I will have trouble finding work as one due to my charges.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

if working where children or vunerable people are involved, you'd need to obtain a CRB. this may well be requested by a prospective employer .

DBS checks are more common these days. They are commonly requested by local authorities for their subcontractor's employees, and larger sites can ask for them too.

I would imagine any employer would ask for previous convictions on application. I have no idea if you have to legally disclose your situation.

Working as a trade on a site involves a lot of banter, ---- taking and even bullying. I can imagine life being very difficult on site for someone in your situation.

These are for charges relating to when I was young and dumb but I now have to register as a sex offender for life with an indefinite SHPO. I'm not seeking any forgiveness.
what you have done in the past is your business ,by asking on the forum is a no from me
you will have to live with it .so if people take you on they will have to think very careful on taking you on . just think if you take on a jail bird that have stolen ,would you take them on no you would not ,so that is my view.

Bit of a strange question ?
For me it would depend on the severity of the offence .
About 15 years ago a lad I knew got caught taking a leak in a shop doorway on a night out , he got put on the sex offenders register !?
And if you look back in time not that far , it was jail time if you were of the wrong persuasion.
Best explain your circumstances to any prospective employer and only they can decide.

I I think it was Sainsbury's actually , I also think being a Sainsbury's 24-hours didn't help ?

• Funny
Reactions: DPG
For me, It would depend on the severity. ----ing on a shop window wouldn’t bother me. Any sort of sexual assault or anything to do with a kid you can jog on no matter how long ago.

With no idea of what the OP was convicted of, I think some are being too judgemental, nor should he/she disclose such details.

The best advice to give, as some have, on how to gain employment in this industry, not voice their personal opinions. Everyone makes mistakes, it’s not acknowledging them and moving and changing the mistakes of the past, which it appears the OP has, by wanting to become an electrician.

Depending on the severity of the offence it could be difficult, especially in jobs that nay cover areas such as schools etc. Im all for a second chance, but as I'm sure your aware sexual offences are looked upon very negatively.

Last edited by a moderator:
Depending on the severity of the offence it could be difficult, especially in jobs that nay cover areas such as schools etc. Im all for a second chance, but as I'm sure your aware sexual offences are looked upon very negatively.

So are serious assaults and homicide, but some of them can rehabilitate. Its the ones that don't, I have no time for.

OP here, without going into too much detail, it was an online offence where I communicated with several teens when I was 18. My SHPO means I must disclose my offence to any potential employers.

So I assume becoming an electrician is a no-go? Would this even be for commercial rather than domestic?

Thanks

If you have to disclose it to every employer then would that include people who employ you to do self employed house work?

if so that would make domestic work hard.

If you can put yourself through college, you could get the college qualifications then a big obstacle would be finding someone to take you on for the on-site part to become qualified.

Maybe apply for apprenticeships with big companies, so power companies like western power, water companies, national rail etc. Be honest in the application forms and see what happens.

The type of offence, being what it is, has a serious stigma attached to it.

Being blunt but not judgemental, for my sins I believe in rehabilitation and second chances, I personally would not employ you purely because of the damage to my reputation if and when it became public knowledge as I work predominantly in the domestic market.

Working in the industrial sector may be different but I would suggest that your options would be limited to being employed by a company where you are in a single location I.E. a factory or similar and not for a contractor where you would be sent to various locations.

Everyone does stupid things to varying degrees when young. Learning from it and not repeating the behaviour is the important bit.

As hard as it is I would suggest being open and honest with potential employers as dishonesty on something like this could cause some very serious problems for everyone involved.

If you have to disclose it to every employer then would that include people who employ you to do self employed house work?

if so that would make domestic work hard.

If you can put yourself through college, you could get the college qualifications then a big obstacle would be finding someone to take you on for the on-site part to become qualified.

Maybe apply for apprenticeships with big companies, so power companies like western power, water companies, national rail etc. Be honest in the application forms and see what happens.

I would think that I have to do it for self employed work yes.

I would still very much like to get into the trade but I wouldn't like to go through college and apprenticeships and go through several years of training and become qualified just to find out no one will hire me despite it.

I would think that I have to do it for self employed work yes.

I would still very much like to get into the trade but I wouldn't like to go through college and apprenticeships and go through several years of training and become qualified just to find out no one will hire me despite it.

I would think the only way you would get trained in the type of work you could do would be through an adult traineeship with the type of employer mentioned in posts 15 and 16.

Domestic and self employed work is pretty much out of the equation.

OP here, without going into too much detail, it was an online offence where I communicated with several teens when I was 18. My SHPO means I must disclose my offence to any potential employers.

So I assume becoming an electrician is a no-go? Would this even be for commercial rather than domestic?

Thanks

I did say you didn't have to explain yourself. You've recognized your faults and moved onwards. In times, not so long ago, in your circumstances, many have done something very similar. This is the millstone our now society requires you to carry.

But you can move on, don't take the narrow view here, as representative of prospective employers. It will be hard for you, but don't loose faith, as you turn your corner in life.

Good luck @pqowieuryt

Think as mentioned an internal apprenticeship with a big company might be your best option. Would be awful to do all the college work to be knocked back. Speak to the job centre or maybe a support worker about it as they will have more idea probably than us on here.
If you manage to get a job with a company and they then have to declare you to all clients and building sites you work on, sorry you have no chance. You wouldn’t want to be on a building site with lads knowing you have that hanging over you either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to (UK) Would it be hard for a sex offender to become an electrician and keep a job? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net