Discuss ultra slim LED downlights in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

cdisney

Active EF Member
Evening all,

A customer has asked for LED downlights in there converted garage but the only problem is there will be only 22mm depth above the plasterboard. I have researched a little and found a couple but the driver ends up needing more depth than the actual light.
Has anyone fitted any lights in a shallow roof space like this or know where I can get hold of some.

Thanks

Joseph staniforth

New EF Member
Evening, I’m not sure about any conventional sized slim downlights but if aesthetics will permit you could use the 150mm recessed round panels that might normally be fitted in an office.
Hope that helps

GBDamo

Subscribed Member
Evening all,

A customer has asked for LED down lights in there converted garage but the only problem is there will be only 22mm depth above the plasterboard. I have researched a little and found a couple but the driver ends up needing more depth than the actual light.
Has anyone fitted any lights in a shallow roof space like this or know where I can get hold of some.

Thanks
Other than round LED panels I think you're snookered.

That's if you can find an after market driver that's slim enough however you then run the risk of overheating the driver as there is no room for the heat to dissipate.

GBDamo

Subscribed Member
I don't know how feasible it would be but could you house the drivers elsewhere and run a 12V supply to each light?

Matthewd29

Regular EF Member
Had this problem myself recently, I used xcite 4w and 8w from CEF and found they were really good. It pained me to use a combined fitting with a non changeable lamp, but sadly had no choice. Worth a look and were a good price

OP
C

cdisney

Active EF Member
I don't know how feasible it would be but could you house the drivers elsewhere and run a 12V supply to each light?
This could possibly be an option, will have a look into it tomorrow.
Thanks for the idea.

OP
C

cdisney

Active EF Member
Had this problem myself recently, I used xcite 4w and 8w from CEF and found they were really good. It pained me to use a combined fitting with a non changeable lamp, but sadly had no choice. Worth a look and were a good price
Thanks for the reply but these are slightly to deep.(25mm)

ferg

Electrician's Arms
I've used the Enlite small panel lights and the driver will, just, fit in a 25mm service gap.

But in the cases where I've used them I have advised the customer of the likely shortened lifespan of the driver.

Electrician Talk