Discuss Unable to separate wires on ring circuit in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

The original socket didn't actually have any earthing point on it, I would assume that the conduit is already earthed.
Anyway, this setup is only temporary, the idea is that half of the wires will end up in this socket and the other half will continue to run through it down to the existing socket (which is actually a new backbox too). My problem is that I don't know how to split the lives, neutrals and earths.
Never assume

I managed to identify the wires (my original question) like this:
Having noticed that the conduit seemed to be heading back to the fusebox, I figured that this was potentially the end of the ring, so, I turned the power off, disconnecting one of the live wires from my socket circuit at the MCB and one at the socket below the backbox pictured, isolating the separated wire in choc bloc each time, put a socket tester in the socket, then turned the power back on and checked the tester to see when the live wire was missing. I did the same with neutral and earth. Took about 1.5 hours but I got there!
Like this.
I believe this socket is at the end of the ring.

I managed to identify the wires (my original question) like this:
Having noticed that the conduit seemed to be heading back to the fusebox, I figured that this was potentially the end of the ring, so, I turned the power off, disconnecting one of the live wires from my socket circuit at the MCB and one at the socket below the backbox pictured, isolating the separated wire in choc bloc each time, put a socket tester in the socket, then turned the power back on and checked the tester to see when the live wire was missing. I did the same with neutral and earth. Took about 1.5 hours but I got there!
Like this.
I believe this socket is at the end of the ring.

does it matter? both are incoming as each is fed from CU.
Yes, that was my conclusion, it shouldn't actually have any effect as it'd still be a ring, just that maybe it would have a figure of 8 in it, but I don't think that's actually a problem.

Yes, that was my conclusion, it shouldn't actually have any effect as it'd still be a ring, just that maybe it would have a figure of 8 in it, but I don't think that's actually a problem.

Well what testing did you do?

It's pretty easy to work out. A figure of 8 is not a standard circuit. It will almost definitely throw off anyone who tests later on an they will probably flag it on an EICR as needing further investigation.

Reply to Unable to separate wires on ring circuit in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock