Discuss Unable to use timer with LED lamp (possible to bypass switch?) in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi, I’ll start off by saying I’m not qualified but have done some electrical work before and do the odd bit of DIY where I can.

I have an LED lamp that I would like to use with a plug in timer and it turns off fine. The problem is when it turns back on power goes to the built in switch (see image) and I have to manually turn it on from there. Is there any way I can modify it so that it comes straight back on when power comes back through?

C53E3B68-5F14-44BD-A7CF-57605C353723.jpeg
This is all that happens when power comes back on, the LED lights up and I have to press the on button. The other buttons turn brightness up and down and change LED colour from warm to cool.
2C2FC683-3D05-45D0-9D2A-7FE83E4A6D30.jpeg7AA8D614-E1C6-4C26-9BA1-27A3DBB8F4F7.jpeg

if you have a multimeter, you can see which terminals of the ON switch make when pressed. ( obviously set on ohms and the supply dissed ). then as it looks like a 2 pole switch, solder a bit of wire across each pair. not recommended unless you are competent to do it.

The buttons probably send a make or break type signal to that microcontroller chip so I doubt soldering a jumper wire across a button will work.

I don't see an easy way of achieving what you're after, there are a couple of things you could try but they're not very elegant solutions. Honestly, if it were me I'd just buy a suitable lamp that will work on a timer without the complications.

The buttons probably send a make or break type signal to that microcontroller chip so I doubt soldering a jumper wire across a button will work.

I don't see an easy way of achieving what you're after, there are a couple of things you could try but they're not very elegant solutions. Honestly, if it were me I'd just buy a suitable lamp that will work on a timer without the complications.
What are the non elegant solutions? I’d rather avoid swapping it as it was a gift but if I have to I will.

Wire a timer so it runs from the supply on the input side of the board and use the timer contacts to switch the 3 output wires that go to the lamp. You might get away with just switching the neutral wire that goes to the lamp, you'd have to mess around and experiment.

Reply to Unable to use timer with LED lamp (possible to bypass switch?) in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net