Discuss Unbalanced 3 Phase Loads in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Had an enquiry from a customer who recently moved premises to a similar sized building 100 meters from the old one. Their electricity bills trebled immediately. I have data logged 4 DBs for 2 weeks and nothing sticks out other than wildly unbalanced loads on 3 phase DBs i.e. L1=38A L2=18A L3=8A
Would this contribute to the increased bills?

Who are they paying...direct to the energy supplier or a landlord, what is the KVA allowance for the new premises, If landlord is charging is there a larger supply in there where its still on the old standing charge higher tariff and they are just been told what they owe per quarter by the landlord, is this the same landlord or a different one, is he adding a percentage to the bills himself?

Is the heating and lighting different, is the unit higher with high bay lighting that may have larger lamps in, these may seem small fry but can make a big difference if a lot fitted, has their operational hours increased (Overtime etc )

Too many variables but food for thought.

They are not paying the landlord. They pay direct to the supply company, the same one they had at the other building. Its just offices and there is LED lighting throughout in the new building so should be less consumption.

Check if they have changed supplier when they moved or have they tranferred their existing supplier across, if the former they may want to arrange a new supplier with new deal.

A few things leap out, "recently moved" - "trebled immediately" - You need definitive meter readings to verify this and of course consumption can be seasonal. With such a small load I would expect they are paying for KWh. This need checking. I would look very closely at the bills for estimated readings and compare charges line by line with the old bills. The loads across the 3 phases is unlikely to be an issue with such small loads.

Is the new unit joined to / nearby another unit and they're getting a free supply?
Or does the new unit supply car park or private road lighting?

It may be LED but how does the number of fittings and items of equipment compare to the old unit?

Last edited:

Reply to Unbalanced 3 Phase Loads in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net