Discuss unconventional wiring in my house in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
My 1950 tract house has many unconventional remodel 'solutions.' Originally it had knob and tube wiring with the old rubberized insulation, but at some point that was replaced with THHN. But here's the funky part: they routed the THHN through the old knobs and tubes and the hot wires and the ground wires are often many feet apart. AND they sometimes spliced the wires with the old cloth electrical tape in the middle of a run and with no box. What should I do to remedy this situation? At a minimum it seems like I should remake the splices with wire nuts inside a box and when the THHN runs are parallel replace them with ROMEX. But this will add several more junction boxes to the circuit and I am not sure what effect that will have. TIA for advice.

My 1950 tract house has many unconventional remodel 'solutions.' Originally it had knob and tube wiring with the old rubberized insulation, but at some point that was replaced with THHN. But here's the funky part: they routed the THHN through the old knobs and tubes and the hot wires and the ground wires are often many feet apart. AND they sometimes spliced the wires with the old cloth electrical tape in the middle of a run and with no box. What should I do to remedy this situation? At a minimum it seems like I should remake the splices with wire nuts inside a box and when the THHN runs are parallel replace them with ROMEX. But this will add several more junction boxes to the circuit and I am not sure what effect that will have. TIA for advice.
Babbobubby the electricians should have never tied in to the old knob and tubing wiring which is so old they used old cloth insulation wire which gets very brittle. Yes all splices need to be installed in a approved box with covers and even though you have to use several boxes with covers that shouldn’t give you any problems. Good luck my friend

Babbobubby the electricians should have never tied in to the old knob and tubing wiring which is so old they used old cloth insulation wire which gets very brittle. Yes all splices need to be installed in a approved box with covers and even though you have to use several boxes with covers that shouldn’t give you any problems. Good luck my friend
Thank you Megawatt!

Reply to unconventional wiring in my house in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net