Discuss Under Cabinet Lighting Wiring Solution in the Electrical Appliances Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hello everybody!

My kitchen is being decorated and i am planning to wire under cabinet lighting, which will be turned on and off from separate lighting switch. I would like to hear your advice, which is the best practice to wire under cabinet lights connected from switch?

I become across couple of solutions.

1. Run a wire from a switch to junction box and then run wires to under cabinet lights.The only problem: if somebody will connect under cabinet light with transformer, it is not good practise to be connected to light switch.
2. Install single socket above each cabinet and plug those lights in the socket.But the question is: Is it good practice to run socket from light switch?
3. Run separate radial from CU and from that circuit install fused spur on each cabinet for each light, then they wont be operating by lighting switch.

What would be the best solution for you guys as future expansions?

Thank you for you help.

You may find there isn’t a neutral at the light switch, so coming from there may not be practical.

Simply plugging into existing sockets is the easiest, but then you possibly lose a useful socket for another appliance.

It depends on the make of lights as well. Some have a plug adaptor, which needs a socket.... and some are a flat transformer that have a trailing wire that you connect to a jointbox.
Some under unit lights run on 230v mains.

It’s down to personal circumstances really, so what’s suitable for one kitchen isn’t for another.

1. Run a wire from a switch to junction box and then run wires to under cabinet lights.The only problem: if somebody will connect under cabinet light with transformer, it is not good practise to be connected to light switch.

@littlespark has already covered this.

2. Install single socket above each cabinet and plug those lights in the socket.But the question is: Is it good practice to run socket from light switch?

Nothing wrong in this as the plug will be fused down for the lights.
Question: Why have a socket above each cabinet. You usually have lighting per work top.

3. Run separate radial from CU and from that circuit install fused spur on each cabinet for each light, then they wont be operating by lighting switch.

Adding an extra circuit would fall under Part P and be notifiable.

You can get wireless switches, that you could put where you want, and control the lights via these.
Have a look at Quinetic Wireless Switches.

Last edited:
You may find there isn’t a neutral at the light switch, so coming from there may not be practical.
I can replace the existing twin and earth cable between the ceiling rose and switch with a 3 core. I had this as one of my solution in first place but forgot to mention at the beginning.
It depends on the make of lights as well. Some have a plug adaptor, which needs a socket....
It was just a plug at the first place,there was no transformer or anything.
Question: Why have a socket above each cabinet. You usually have lighting per work top.
For easy replacing of the light(in future for example), so does not need to chop plug off. Like i mentioned before is it a good practice to run socket of the light switch? Does it good practice if somebody connect transformer into the switch?

Thank you for your reply guys.

Like i mentioned before is it a good practice to run socket of the light switch? Does it good practice if somebody connect transformer into the switch?

I see no problem with the principle of it but I would stick a label on the sockets, to say that they are wired to the switch. May make things easier in the future, if an electrician is doing any testing.

Reply to Under Cabinet Lighting Wiring Solution in the Electrical Appliances Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net