Discuss Under cabinet strip lighting, Upgrade to LED in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

Stephen Waterworth

Hi
I have under cabinet strip lighting. The old 2 pin lighting. I want to buy LED. Question . Can I just use the same powere cable that I used before. I have enclosed some photos . If anyone can advise , it would be much appreciated
Thanks
Steve

6B0F6231-85DC-4330-98D2-9194708C592C.jpeg

BC1EB1B8-4609-4D1D-ADEB-9774055F23ED.jpeg

AB33F099-2F21-42A9-9AFD-CD061EDFA673.jpeg

3FA6D68F-EAAE-48FA-8C3A-48DB94CB30F1.jpeg

84DA5B2D-51C2-4F2F-A23A-75B31346D51B.jpeg

FA859076-E7AD-4EEA-BE45-09E35AF417D8.jpeg

Ah that’s a shame. A jb under the unit. Sorry, what’s a jb again. I was hoping to avoid going into the wall itself. I have attached another photo, this time of the cable going into the wall. Not exciting I agree. Is there anything I can do without making holes do you think
Thanks again
Steve

what it appears that you have is 230 volt twin cable appearing from your wall into bottom of units,this should have a cpc for protection . as it doesn't i would advise getting a spark in to rectify this for you .

Worse case you can get small 13A flex connectors to joint existing cable with some good double sided to fix below the cabinet.

what it appears that you have is 230 volt twin cable appearing from your wall into bottom of units,this should have a cpc for protection . as it doesn't i would advise getting a spark in to rectify this for you .
Does this flex just go up behind the cabinet to a connection on the top?
If so you may be able to use it to pull in a new wire and use whatever lights you like under the cabinets. If its ELV(12v) the LED power supply can sit on top.

Do we know the new fitting isn't class II ?

The cpc is not there to protect you if you drill through it although it has the advantage that the protective device will trip should you drill the line and cpc together.
the first post showed a twin flex feeding a mains fitting probably a class2 ,the flex appears to be buried in the wall ,IMHO this is bad practise, the t&e should have been brought down back of cabinet into a jb and connection made in there .that's all

It may not be ideal, but I certainly wouldn't be ripping the wall apart to install a CPC which is not even going to be used.

my first instinct last night was to say to the op chop off end of old connector and replace with new connector as i didn't think they were compatable, however i thought i would get slated for that so chose a different approach, but that's what i would have done in my own house;)

my first instinct last night was to say to the op chop off end of old connector and replace with new connector as i didn't think they were compatable, however i thought i would get slated for that so chose a different approach, but that's what i would have done in my own house;)

I think that's the best option in the circumstances. As long as it is done in a decent fashion. To the OP: don't twist and tape the wires :)

Reply to Under cabinet strip lighting, Upgrade to LED in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net