Discuss Under cupboard lighting - question about socket type. in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

EmmCee

DIY
Reaction score
Hi there, I've just moved in to a new place, and it looks as though there's been some under cupboard lighting installed previously, but I've never had it and don't recognise the socket type, and which lights (and where to get them) will work with it.

VERY basic question, I know, but it's one I don't know the answer to, so thanks for any info.

Thanks

Mike

TL;DR
What's this?

Attachments

• IMG_0788.jpg
    228.1 KB · Views: 15
Very common on under cupboard strip lights. Be careful though, there are at least 3 types which are all similar but not the same!

• Agree
Reactions: SJD
I worked in a rental property recently where they had these socket types under units. The fittings were T4 fluorescents, but wholesaler said they were redundant and couldn’t even get tubes.

Reactions: DPG
I worked in a rental property recently where they had these socket types under units. The fittings were T4 fluorescents, but wholesaler said they were redundant and couldn’t even get tubes.

Yes, some tubes are unavailable now. Doesn't help when there are about ten different lengths, some only slightly different to the others. Hate the things!!

Thanks everyone, I guess there'll be a bit of trial and error then, as I find the right kind!

Thanks everyone, I guess there'll be a bit of trial and error then, as I find the right kind!

If it connects to a junction box then you could disconnect it and connect whatever type of light fitting you want (I'd recommend LED). However people often just leave the cable poking out from the wall, which makes things more awkward.

Most replacement fittings of this type come with a cable to connect it. More recent models tend to have a slightly different shape plug/socket, the photo shows what I think is an older style. So if the connection/junction is accessible, just buy a replacement of the approriate length and expect to change the cable.

Reactions: DPG

Reply to Under cupboard lighting - question about socket type. in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net