Discuss Under cupboard lights to LED strips in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

SJamG

Hi,

Really hope someone could help, I have googled and googled this, but to no avail. What I would like to do is replace the florecent strip lights under my cupboards in the kitchen with LED strip lights like the ones here on eBay...

The current lights are powered by the mains switch with blank white plates above each cupbard, the connection to the lights use the "figure of 8" power connector.

These LED strips use 12v DC and i really do not have a clue of what to buy to make this work! So my question is..how would i connect these small strips into the mains (without changing the blank plate to a socket and plugging in an adapter....is there some sort of figure of 8 to dc connector thingy? (feel free to laugh...i just did)

I really appreciate any help anyone can offer.

Thanks

Jamie

you need the LED strip lights and a suitable driver. try LEDHut. basically, the driver is hard wired into the mains supply, suitably fused, , and the strips plug in to the driver. some drivers take up to 6 strips. always buy the strips and driver from same supplier.

you need the LED strip lights and a suitable driver. try LEDHut. basically, the driver is hard wired into the mains supply, suitably fused, , and the strips plug in to the driver. some drivers take up to 6 strips. always buy the strips and driver from same supplier.

Thank you very much! Starting to understand a little more about it.

So would something like this do? Been on LEDHut too, so might order it all from there...but would the one from eBay do?

Thank you for your help.

Jamie

something like that is fine. as long as you don't plug in too many strips for the driver to handle. you will need some form of switching arrangement unless this is already installed on the existing lights.

Reply to Under cupboard lights to LED strips in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net