Discuss Under ground service to weather head or service head. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
What is common practice when hooking Armoured cable to a weather head. Do I need a aluminum weather head or is a threaded PVC one ok? Do I use a weather head with threads so my teck connector can screw straight in.....do I need ground bushings at both ends?
Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks,

i don't understand your question, what is a weather head?

afraid you'll need to wait untilsomeonefrom Canada or USA is online.your regs. and terminology are different to ours.

What is common practice when hooking Armoured cable to a weather head. Do I need a aluminum weather head or is a threaded PVC one ok? Do I use a weather head with threads so my teck connector can screw straight in.....do I need ground bushings at both ends?
Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks,
@guster Are you installing armored cable as you service mast or is it in pipe if so what kind of pipe
[automerge]1570222427[/automerge]
@guster Are you installing armored cable as you service mast or is it in pipe if so what kind of pipe
What size is your connector and no grounding bushings are required do not get an aluminum weather head get a PVC weather head with threads for your connector

Last edited:
I was told I cant run conduit with armoured cable because the armour has to be bonded at both ends......and a ground bushing at the meter base. I'm not sure how the armour will be bonded going into a plastic service head.....but that is what they want!
I was curious if a threaded plastic coupler into 2" conduit about 6" or so to service head would be ok! The electrical supply store has no threaded service heads in stock .....they do have a threaded coupler that fits the teck connector.
Is it a special connector I use for going into a plastic service head?

Thanks.

I was told I cant run conduit with armoured cable because the armour has to be bonded at both ends......and a ground bushing at the meter base. I'm not sure how the armour will be bonded going into a plastic service head.....but that is what they want!
I was curious if a threaded plastic coupler into 2" conduit about 6" or so to service head would be ok! The electrical supply store has no threaded service heads in stock .....they do have a threaded coupler that fits the teck connector.
Is it a special connector I use for going into a plastic service head?

Thanks.
Do y’all not have SE cable which means service entry cable and not armored cable

We do have service entry cable...direct burial. It requires protection installed in the trench. Armored cable requires no protection if buried below 24". I chose armored cable thinking it would save time not having to add protection.....I now wish I would have just used the regular SE cable we normally use and placed protection in the trench. So.....I'm stuck with using this armored cable and installing it to Code.

I will order the plastic threaded service head tomorrow with one ground bushing and two properly sized Teck connectors.

Is the service head held to the town pole by just the armored cable clamps?

Thanks,

We do have service entry cable...direct burial. It requires protection installed in the trench. Armored cable requires no protection if buried below 24". I chose armored cable thinking it would save time not having to add protection.....I now wish I would have just used the regular SE cable we normally use and placed protection in the trench. So.....I'm stuck with using this armored cable and installing it to Code.

I will order the plastic threaded service head tomorrow with one ground bushing and two properly sized Teck connectors.

Is the service head held to the town pole by just the armored cable clamps?

Thanks,
@gus Yes just remember to put at least 4-5 straps to secure it good

Reply to Under ground service to weather head or service head. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net