Discuss underfloor heating advice please in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

B

bus-nut

Hi I went to see a job this evening for a building firm that I do their electrical work for them reguarly.

The house was extended last year which comprised of a lounge and 1 bedroomabove. the elecrical firm installed a seperate ccu with RCD protection with one mcb for the ring main for the lounge and bedroom and one lighting circuit forthe same.

Within the lounge is a tiles floor with underfloor heating spured off of the ring, tiles are to remain and not be disturbed.

The customer is extending the lounge and the wall which the underfloor heating stat and supply is will be knocked out and they have asked if the original wires could be extended i.s the cold tails and floor stat.
1st question is can this be done and is it advisable?

Also within the new part of the lounge the customer would like that to be heated aswell and I will not be able to bring in a seperate supply for hat dueto the customer not wishis for the floor sna carpets to be taken up so.
2nd question. As long as I limit the new part of the floor heating to 100 wattper sq meter heat matt which will be a max of 7.6 amps is it possible to spuroff that ring for the new section of under floor heating.

The ring is not heavily loaded main loading would be the heating and the TV?

Also must add the floor heating is secondary.
thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
I can't see why you can't extend and regarding your issue with installing another heating mat I think on some stats you can supply more than one mat well at least on ones I have installed.

How are you intending to extend the cables?
Shouldn't be any problem putting the new mat off a spur as you say it will be less than 2kw.

I fitted a visal a few weeks ago and they do extension cables for the cold tail and floor stat,but if i do this then the connections will not be accesible.

I am unsure as to what system has been installed within the original lounge so I was going to play safe a run a secondary system seperate and leave the existing alone due to the room stats being limited to 16 amp.

thanls for your replys.

Reply to underfloor heating advice please in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock