Discuss Underfloor heating plumbed in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Have a job wiring single storey extension. Lights, sockets extractor fans etc and all ok and on with job.
Customer now decided to put in underfloor heating and plumber on with that now.
Never wired this type with zone valves and thermostats etc to three rooms.
Anyone know where I can brush up on wiring diagrams etc to get job done correctly.

They normally come as a kit with a connection panel ,a timeswitch and stats etc and hopefully a wiring diagram, though they dont normally show how to wire into an existing system.
There was a thread on the central heating section on here about this

What's the existing system? If it's s plan then it's just a matter of a 5 core flex to the u/f panel to power it. You would take the switched live through the 0v boiler enable terminal.

plumber wants to leave the wiring to me and although I've done lots of domestic work I have never done any boiler related wiring so need to see the wiring diagrams for the underfloor heating with zone valves, actuators, time clocks and room stats and the wiring centre. Haven't really got a clue with it other than FCU for boiler and a seperate one by the manifold ?? Don't want to shy away from this as i need to learn but it must be correct so major help needed if anyone can. Will be three new zones (master bed, ensuite and main bathroom. Plus radiators already connected to rest of house on fourth zone. Fith zone for hall underfloor to be added at later date.

This is a diagram of the system I installed recently. http://www.speedfitufh.co.uk/pdf/literature/JGUH1-PRT WIRING DIAGRAM (NETWORK-V3) 090210.pdf

As you can see, it runs the upstairs rads too and the hot water. CAT 5 or Beldon 9538 Cable from the panel to each prog room stat. I usually take the power for the panel and the sw live from the boiler in 5 core heat res flex to a fan isolator (that way I can isolate switched live too) and then to the the u/f panel. The actuators for each u/f zone are connected to the app terminals. Same with the pump and zone valve.

As it happens I'm over at the new build where I installed this system tomorrow to finish off. Let me know if you want me to take some pics!

Quite a few of these that I`ve fitted have mains voltage stats so you have to install 3 core and earth to each point or if there is night set-back on the system I normally use a 5 core flex

This is a diagram of the system I installed recently. http://www.speedfitufh.co.uk/pdf/literature/JGUH1-PRT WIRING DIAGRAM (NETWORK-V3) 090210.pdf

As you can see, it runs the upstairs rads too and the hot water. CAT 5 or Beldon 9538 Cable from the panel to each prog room stat. I usually take the power for the panel and the sw live from the boiler in 5 core heat res flex to a fan isolator (that way I can isolate switched live too) and then to the the u/f panel. The actuators for each u/f zone are connected to the app terminals. Same with the pump and zone valve.

As it happens I'm over at the new build where I installed this system tomorrow to finish off. Let me know if you want me to take some pics!

Photos would be good. Very helpful of you. Thanks

Image145.jpg

Image148.jpg

Image148.jpg

http://i1092.photobucket.com/albums/i406/david_garner1/Image149.jpg

Ok I took some pics, I hope they're of some help. Not very good quality as I forgot to take my camera and had to use my mobile.
The two close up pics are of the power in and next to it is the boiler enable terminals that the switched live is connected to. the second close up is the pump, motor valve terminals. The second board is piggybacked from this one, hence the extra cables.

Last edited:
Image145.jpg

Image148.jpg

Image148.jpg

http://i1092.photobucket.com/albums/i406/david_garner1/Image149.jpg

Ok I took some pics, I hope they're of some help. Not very good quality as I forgot to take my camera and had to use my mobile.
The two close up pics are of the power in and next to it is the boiler enable terminals that the switched live is connected to. the second close up is the pump, motor valve terminals. The second board is piggybacked from this one, hence the extra cables.

Did not get the second close up photo. What cables have you used in each case. And is all the live supply from one switched spur.

icon1.png
First time wiring underfloor heating with central heating

This is my first attempt at wiring underfloor heating and i need advice if possible.
The attached diagram is how wired. 2 zone valves, first for central heating with its own stat, second for UFH with three actuators. Actuator 1 is for bathroom with one stat and actuators 2 and 3 are together on bedroom with stat.

Question - FCU is supply at manifold and wiring centre and is only supply in with isolator at boiler. Is this ok or should I have a seperate supply fcu for boiler?

Question - If actuators are called by bedroom stat which then call zone valve will i have back feed on actutor for bathroom?

Question - Volt free contacts on stats so is wiring ok as shown?

Your help with this would be greatly appreciated and please feel free to question my drawing etc if I need to clarify.

Reply to Underfloor heating plumbed in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net