Discuss Underfloor Heating / Rads Ufh3 Heatmiser in the Electric Underfloor Heating Wiring area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Good evening, my knowledge with heating isn't great, so thought ide seek some advice.

At current there is a heating system (Gas boiler) which is serving heating (rads) / hot water. The plumber has said he's slightly puzzled from the system to weather its a Y or an S plan.

They've had an extension built which has 2 zones of underfloor heating using the UFH3 wiring plan and the heatmiser wiring base I've wired up as diagram and with the SL to boiler.

The client wanted it so if they want Heat on in the extension it wouldn't heat up the rads in the rest of the house at the same time. I presumed that just wiring the SL from UFH into the boiler same terminal as the SL from original system that would be sufficient. Meaning that if the room stat from the rad system was satisfied it wouldn't heat that system anyway.

Had a phone call today with the client saying when they've got the rad system turned off and stat fully up the rads are still getting hot?????

Think i may have made a silly mistake and wondering if a contact or something should be fitted?

Would like it if someone could help thanks.

Liam

I think from what you have written the plumber needs to fit a two port valve to feed the UFH, you should use the timeclocks/stats to feed the two port valves and then use the micro switches in the valves to call for heat from the boiler. Otherwise when you turn either rads or UFH it back feeds the other and turns both on.

He has used the 2 port valve and wired it back to the ufh3 wiring centre just connecting L and N and been told by manufactor to link out grey and orange?

Well you have to know the full system,I can not see why the plumber does not know what plan it is,how can you wire system up if you do not know what zone controls you are wiring or what the independent pipe work circuits are?
Do you indeed have 3 separate circuits piped up to allow them to be run separately

They could also of not brought the return pipe work back to the boiler correctly,so there is back feed to the rads zone

you say

''Had a phone call today with the client saying when they've got the rad system turned off and stat fully up the rads are still getting hot?????''

Do you mean stat for ufh fully up,so rads getting hot ?

Basically has it been done correctly or a builders job of two ufh zones stuck on the end of the rad circuit,in which case rads will have to be on and system designed incorrectly

or you will go back and find you put a wire in terminal 2 instead of 3,sort it in 5 mins and have a early lunch.....maybe

You need to confirm with the plumber how the heating system is piped up before proceding any further or you could just be wasting your time.

If it is an S plan there will usually be 2 motorised valves and each valve will have a pipe on each side or if it is a Y plan there will be one motorised valve and it will have three pipes connected.

When you have established what equipment you have, you can then work out what you need to control and how to control it.

The best way is to draw out a basic schematic diagram of what you need to achieve and then from this work out a circuit diagram.

I am assuming that you are using the heatmiser UH3 for connecting the underfloor heating.

If you can post a diagram of how you have made your connections, someone may be able guide you in the right direction.

He has used the 2 port valve and wired it back to the ufh3 wiring centre just connecting L and N and been told by manufactor to link out grey and orange?
If you mean the two port for the rads this is why they are getting hot, you have given control of them to the underfloor heating wiring centre.

On the existing heating there is a 2 port valve and a 3 port valve.

There is an additional 2 port valve but on the ufh supply this is the valve ive wired to following the diagram. http://www.heatmiser.co.uk/web/index.php/docs/finish/61-uh3-wiring-diagrams/142-uh3-switched-live-boiler-connection

And the S/L out of the heatmiser ive put into the boiler's S/L along with the original heating/ho****ers S/L

there should be a 2 port valve blocking the flow to the rads, only opening when the rads stat calls, has the plumber latched it open manually ?

martin

if the rads have been piped seperate from the extension ufh then there should be two 2port vales for each system.if you have put the two sl from each system into the sl of the boiler,it wont back feed the other two port valve because it cant get threw the mirco switch inside the other 2port valve<i think your problem is that you have linked out grey and orange in the 2port valve

Reply to Underfloor Heating / Rads Ufh3 Heatmiser in the Electric Underfloor Heating Wiring area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock