Discuss Underfloor Heating Repair or repair kit? in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

G

Geoffers

Hi Folks, I've had a quick search for a thread on this but there are so many queries on UFH.

I've been asked to repair some UFH where a carpenter has sliced through it with his stanley knife. I've never worked with UFH before but what i have been told is that this stuff is called elements e ribbon. It doesn't look as though anyone stocks this anymore but whilst i am waiting to hear back from a supplier to let me know if they have anything available I though I'd tout it on here.

As this stuff is flat ribbon i wouldn't have though it could be soldered and re-heatshrunk. (can it be done with UFH anyway??)

The problem is, I've not been able to see it yet and the houseowner is away until next week.

I'm just hoping someone may have come up against something like this before. I.e. ribbon as opposed to mat type heating.

Cheers if anyone can help

ha ha! ....i'm normally from the same school of thought...

this stuff is a flat ribbon type cable enclosed between some clear sort of HR polythene. I rang the actual company (elements) that used to make it (up until 5 months ago). They used to do repair kits too....but all of it discontinued.

I've found a place that still sells it though ....so i should be able to put a new piece in i hope....failing that....i'll get the solder out!

I've only dealt with the mat-backed wire type of UFH, which always says DO NOT CUT - but then the makers offer a repair kit in case you cut it ... which suggests a repair may well be possible. But if you're not happy about it then walk on by - no shame in admitting something's beyond your experience, especially if a badly-done job could start a fire.

PJ

Reply to Underfloor Heating Repair or repair kit? in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net