Discuss underfloor heating wiring diagrams in the Electric Underfloor Heating Wiring area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

B

BAZ

Hi, I'm wiring a three level house and there is an underfloor heating system going into to it, i was hoping some one might have a good basic wiring diagram. there is a manifold on each floor and with room stat in each room and i just cant seem to get any information on what needs to be link out between each floor and would there be a control unit on each level, with one main control unit on the ground floor.

Is each room stat wired back to the manifold on that floor ?
Are the manifold control units linked out to one main control unit?

Thanks for any help, a basic diagram would be great, as i'm only at the 1st fix stage

Baz

you need to speak to the plumber first and find out what make of valves will be fitted and where also what boiler etc.. and go from there reli sounds fun lol

I don't realise the problem, a 3-port valve for each room, each stat controls each room independant. Why is that difficult?

i understand the room stat controls the actuator's which in turn control each room, what i don't get is the switching of the system, as what switches the boiler on and off ( a time clock ?). what are the 3 port's switching. in what order does it switch. for example the room stat is switch on which turn the valve which turn on the boiler. thats what i'm hoping to find out. it's easy when you know how to do it.(wattsup). any help would be great.

Thanks

Baz

i understand the room stat controls the actuator's which in turn control each room, what i don't get is the switching of the system, as what switches the boiler on and off ( a time clock ?). what are the 3 port's switching. in what order does it switch. for example the room stat is switch on which turn the valve which turn on the boiler. thats what i'm hoping to find out. it's easy when you know how to do it.(wattsup). any help would be great.

Thanks

Baz

Time clock will be your main switching unit for the whole system and the thermostats will work the individuals rooms as secondary switching.

Why are there 3 port valves for under floor heating ? This is a serious question , I'm not taking the pi55. I thought there should be one 3 port valve for DHW and heating zones ie upstairs and downstairs, but each room ( or sub zone )is attached to a room stat. If the stat is demanding heat, as long as the ch side of the 3 port valve is open the actuator opens to allow hot flow through the ufh; once this is satisfied the stat opens , the actuator closes due to no signal from the stat, after the programmer. I really thought a 3 port valve controlled the flow of heated water between DHW and general CH. Sorry if I've been rambling but i'm really worried that I haven't got this right!!

Underfloor heating is normaly controled by individual actuators for each zone mounted on a manifols. The critical thing with ufh is the max temp of the water and this sounds like an inovation to control the max temp and not the room temp. I may be totaly wrong but its what I would investigate if I found this.

You should talk to the plumber. The system normally comes with a control box, the heating demand from the programmer/time clock goes into the box then each zone roomstat is wired back to the box and the zone valves, the underfloor heating pump and boiler are then controlled by the control box. I hope this is some help.

ok i'm back to this i have to 2nd fix this house. I'm still hoping to get some information on an underfloor heating system. just the plumber does not speak much english. There are three floors, each floor has a manifold with about 5 zones controled by room stats which control a two wirer actuator.(+ & -) There is no main control unit. so what i'm hoping to find out is. 1. What switches what 2. how does the system work. 3 what are the electrical 3 port mixing value for and how they connect to the system. 4 how is the boiler switched on and off.

This is what i think. power is sent to the boiler. the boiler switches on which sends power to the manifold pumps and the room stats and the room stat switches the actuators on or off. not sure is this right or wrong and where the 3 port mixer value come in. I know this is basic but i just can't get my head around it.

any help would be great,

Baz

"Electrical 3 port mixing valve"

I've never worked on a proper large scale UFH system such as your sounds like. In a small house with UFH as well as normal radiators a mixing valve or blending valve is required to bring normal CH flow temperatres down to a cooler temp for the UFH pipes. Normally this valve is mechanically operated, although cheaper conservatory manifolds used an electrical stat placed on the pipe to control this mixing valve.

The valve usually takes CH in & UFH return in, and blends together to provide a cooler UFH flow.

However a system of the size you describe usually has a dedicated boiler set a lower temperature at origin so need for the mixing valve.

Hope i've not just confused the issue more...:)

hi there

ive worked on many ufh systems and all of them have 2port valves not three. any way i'll explain how i normally do them.
1. 3channel programmer. each cannel sending power to each individual control box which normally comes with the ufh kit, situated at each manifold.
2. each stat for each room connected back to the ufh control box at the appropriate manifold and each actuator connected to aprropriate stat.
3. in each control box there should be 2 normally open contacts, one for the circulator pump and the other sends power to the motorized valve.(brown usually) and the boiler is connected to orange usually.so once theres power to the brown the valve opens and the orange becomes live and starts the boiler.
4. other connections on the valve are blue - neutral, grey - permanent live.

hope this makes sense. sorry if this doesnt help and might not be the system you have.

Ido have a 4 port mixing valve in my house but the system came with a additional controller and various stats and sensors, but its the only one ive seen.

cheers
Gary

Just bumping some threads in the Electrical Wiring Theories and Regulations forum category here on our Electricians Forums. If this specific topic isn't current, just ignore it, it'll drop off the list in no time. However, if it's something you'd like to contribute to, feel free to reply and bring it back into current discussion.

Wow this is an old thread...anyhow. If a 2-port valve were used....ie, room 1 set to 19c...any rooms further down the loop would also be set to 19c, nothing you can do. A three port valve would allow continuous water flow, no matter what the said room was set to. So you set room 1 to 19c on the room stat. Once the room is at 19c the room stat will send a signal to the valve and close to that part of the loop, the rest of the loop is unaffected...Of course a 3-port valve and room stat would be needed for every room/area you want to control separately....( Just read above, manifolds etc....maybe I'm a dinosaur)...

Wow this is an old thread...anyhow. If a 2-port valve were used....ie, room 1 set to 19c...any rooms further down the loop would also be set to 19c, nothing you can do. A three port valve would allow continuous water flow, no matter what the said room was set to. So you set room 1 to 19c on the room stat. Once the room is at 19c the room stat will send a signal to the valve and close to that part of the loop, the rest of the loop is unaffected...Of course a 3-port valve and room stat would be needed for every room/area you want to control separately....( Just read above, manifolds etc....maybe I'm a dinosaur)...
No that's not how it works.

Reply to underfloor heating wiring diagrams in the Electric Underfloor Heating Wiring area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock