Discuss Underfloor Heating in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

S

sl1210

Hi guys,

A tennant has a problem with their underfloor heating not heating up at all. Its a Aube TH132F Thermostat.

When i put it on override and set the temperature high to 40 oC it keep going back to 18oC.

Does this need replacing, or is it a deeper problem with the sensor.

I have 230v coming in and 230v going out to the mat.

Cheers

if you have 230v going out to the mat then thermostat must be working ok temporarily bypass the stat and check with clamp meter if the mat is drawing any current

ok so bypass the thermostat by connecting the supply to the load???? ignoring the sensor???

you say the thermostat is ok, but why wont it stay on a high temperature when i set it???

If you've got 230V going out to the mat and it's not heating up, it's not going to be a problem with the thermostat, is it?

The display changing from 40C to 18C when you've finished setting it is likely to be because it shows the ambient temp except when you're actually setting it.

measure the resistance of the mat. if it's open circuit, then it's a floor up job.

ok im going back tomorrow. i will test the resistance, and also bypass the thermostat if that is ok

Hi there,
There are company's that repair underfloor heating,find out the make and contact the company
they will give you the number of a local repairer,basically they can detect hot spots in the floor
using a clever bit of kit.when they have found the place they will remove the tile and repair
the faulty cable.You will need a tile to replace the one they remove.Its not cheep but better than ripping
up the whole floor and retiling.The one i was involved in cost £140

ok great sounds good. but to be honest its a bit of a shabby job anyway. the thermostat is fitted next to a socket at low level and is plugged into the socket via a flex. surely even if i get it working, it is way too low, and will be too close to the heat

I have 230v coming in and 230v going out to the mat.

Did you test this to earth or accross neutral? If you tested to earth, are you certain that the mat is receiving neutral? If the switch in the controller is double pole (i'v not used aube stuff before) then could it be a faulty neutral contact?

I think someone has highlighted that you need to check the mats resistance.

Rich

Have you got a copy of the instuctions for the timer/thermostat?

Having it plugged in sounds very DIY bodger

yes it is definitely a bodge job. it should be on a switch spur, and the stat should be a lot higher off the ground.

i went there today and tested for resistance on the mat load, got infinite readings on my megger. so the mat is broken somewhere for sure.

i then bypassed the stat to see if the tiles started heating up. they didn't.

i think getting these guys in to trace the faulty break is the only option. but again i don't feel comfortable with the stat being mounted so low anyway.

i may convince them to fit a electric heater as an alternative if anything. ripping all the tiles up isn't an option

If there is a heat probe in the floor to the stat then the hight of the stat is not an issue only a pain to work at and yea indeed shabby if plugged in I would have put a 13a switch fuse off the socket and fed it that way and I hate trying to set some of those stats I fitted 12 in local dog kennels was sick o the sight of them on the end

does anyone know of any companies in london that can repair the faulty mat by locating the hot spot and fixing the damaged cable??

Reply to Underfloor Heating in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock