Discuss Underfloor heating in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

L

Lamps1970

Hi guys, first time poster, so please be kind!
Can anyone advise me whether underfloor heating should be on its own circuit or whether a fcu off the ring final would be acceptable? This is for a kitchen at my mum and dads. I've first fixed the cables. A couple of 6mm for the two ovens they are having and I've put 2 x 2.5mm t and e, which will either be a ring final with fcu for the underfloor heating, or 2 radials, one for underfloor heating and one for sockets.
Thanks for any help people.

It is about 1kilowatt, so it's under 5 amps.
My original plan was to put it on its own circuit and have a radial for the kitchen sockets. I just wondered what you guys who are more experienced sparks on this site think.

It is about 1kilowatt, so it's under 5 amps.
My original plan was to put it on its own circuit and have a radial for the kitchen sockets. I just wondered what you guys who are more experienced sparks on this site think.
I would personally put it on an fcu and keep the kitchen as a ring

For one kilowatt I would tend to have a ring for the Kitchen incorporating a fused spur for the UFH. This will give you the maximum rating for the kitchen ring, OK 32-9 amps on occasion but better than 20A radial for a kitchen.

Thanks very much for the advice guys. I think I will put it on an FCU and have the sockets on a ring. I had been told by another spark that the underfloor heating must have its own circuit. I couldn't find anything definitive in the regs and all the new circuits are going on rcbo's, so they will have the necessary protection.

You say you've first fixed the 2.5mm cable. Not sure how you can do that without running them in as either a ring, or as 2 radials. Surely the cables are now at the points intended?
At your Mum and Dads... are you an electrician, or just helping them out?

Guitarist, I am a fully qualified spark. What do you think I mean by first fixing? I've got cable going from where the new consumer unit will be going to various points in the kitchen. Please don't try and intimidate me by putting me down, when all I asked was a question.

Guitarist, I am a fully qualified spark. What do you think I mean by first fixing? I've got cable going from where the new consumer unit will be going to various points in the kitchen. Please don't try and intimidate me by putting me down, when all I asked was a question.

It was a legitimate question I asked, and nothing to do with trying to "intimidate".
I cannot see how you can lay cables in for first fix, then decide whether you want 2 radials or a ring. Anyway, I won't bother answering anything from now on, as I'm sick of the attitude on here.

Guitarist, I am a first time poster on this site, but have seen many moody, sarcastic posts from people before, hence my so called 'attitude'. Anyway, I suppose I should have said I have part first fixed, I can't do anymore at the moment as the kitchen units are still in place and not due to be ripped out until next week. So what I have layed so far are 2 supply cables both 6mm for 2 ovens that they are having, there is already a circuit in 6mm, currently for their existing oven and I will use this for the hob they are having installed. I have 2 x 2.5 cables, coming into the kitchen which are where they want two of the sockets, one of these points would be suitable for where the heat matt will be fixed. So I can adapt the wiring to suit either a ring final or radial.
I'm sorry if I offended you, I was only after a bit of advice on whether a heat mat should go on its own dedicated circuit. I have fitted them before, but from a spur. It's only because a fellow spark, who I work with a fair amount, told me that ufh must go on its own circuit. As I said, I couldn't find anything definitive in the regs, so came onto this forum for a bit of friendly advice. Your reply seemed to be putting me down, but I know there are a lot of people who try and do the work we do and they shouldn't be allowed to wire a plug!

lamps, i don't think guitarist was trying to put you down. it's just that a lot of chancers and DIYers have been fishing for advice on doing what they clearly are not competent to do. sometimes, from a OP, it is not made clear as to what your level of competence is at. anyway, i'm with several other previous posts, best way is to install RFC and FCU the UFH from that. or, if it's easier, install 2 20a radials and FCU the UFH from 1 of them. your mate is wrong in saying that the UFH needs to be on it;s own cct. i would only do that if it was a big UFH of 2kW or more.

Thanks telectrix, I didn't mean to cause any offence, just felt like I was being treated as an incompetent spark. I should have been much more specific and will be in the future, like I said, in new to posting on this forum and I do take your point about inexperienced people fishing for advice.

Guitarist, I am a first time poster on this site, but have seen many moody, sarcastic posts from people before, hence my so called 'attitude'. Anyway, I suppose I should have said I have part first fixed, I can't do anymore at the moment as the kitchen units are still in place and not due to be ripped out until next week. So what I have layed so far are 2 supply cables both 6mm for 2 ovens that they are having, there is already a circuit in 6mm, currently for their existing oven and I will use this for the hob they are having installed. I have 2 x 2.5 cables, coming into the kitchen which are where they want two of the sockets, one of these points would be suitable for where the heat matt will be fixed. So I can adapt the wiring to suit either a ring final or radial.
I'm sorry if I offended you, I was only after a bit of advice on whether a heat mat should go on its own dedicated circuit. I have fitted them before, but from a spur. It's only because a fellow spark, who I work with a fair amount, told me that ufh must go on its own circuit. As I said, I couldn't find anything definitive in the regs, so came onto this forum for a bit of friendly advice. Your reply seemed to be putting me down, but I know there are a lot of people who try and do the work we do and they shouldn't be allowed to wire a plug!

After re-reading my initial post, I don't believe it was belittling in any way. We do get a lot of people on here either doing DIY work, or helping family out, hence my question.
Now that you've explained it more clearly, I understand how you can go two ways with the wiring in its current state.
Agree with tel and the others here, FCU from the RFC. In an ideal world, you would have an RFC AND a separate circuit for the UFH, but not if it means losing the capacity of a ring in the kitchen.
No harm done. Hope it all goes well.

Don't worry about it, if Nikola Tesla came on here he would be called an amateur idiot who doesn't know what he's talking about, and couldn't wire a shed, and should give up electrics and become a plumber. Its quite normal.

Thanks for all the advice guys. I reckon I am just a bit 'green' on these sites am was probably a bit over sensitive. Speak to you all soon. Thanks again.

Reply to Underfloor heating in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock