Discuss Underfloor Heating in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi,

Now I understand that this question may seem pointless, so humour me anyway...

A lady had underfloor heating installed about 10 months ago along with her new kitchen...

I was there for the kitchen install but didn't do the mats, there are two mats serving her kitchen and utility room, both are connected to the same programmer....

after she had issues with 'overloading', as she was 'reliably' informed, the mats were disconnected...

anyway ive had a look and it is in fact a L-E fault on just one mat... so connected one back in and its all good with a reading of >999 from L+N-E

the other mat has a reading of 0.01 megohms and 17,000ohm for continuity from L+N-E....

she was sold a new programmer by the company as i passed this info on to the person who has taken responsibility for the install, and they called the technical support - who told him the readings are normal and that a new programmer at £80 was required....

Anyway this mat trips the RCD obviously, but with a continuity of 17k if it was connected to just an MCB it would have a fault current of 13mA? and therefore the mat would work again?

any reading below 1Mohm is a fail, so i'd not even connect it to a duracell. condemn the mat. leave disconnected. end of.

yep fair enough, have called technical support and they will send a new replacement mat, but that cost is substantially outweighed by the labor cost of lifting and replacing all her nice expensive floor tiles... hey ho not my kitchen though!

Just a thought you wasnt testing the floor probe was you? The range from 8K ohms upto 25k ohms - but i guess the floor probe wont have an earth wire.

na, nice thought though.. the 2 mats hit a jb before entering the programmer, i isolated the mat at the jb, so not the probe.... i agree with the tech bloke tho, its weird it worked fine for 6 months then one day POOF

They do - it doesnt take much to nik the cable then with the heating and cooling it just gives up. Plus some cable mats have very little insulation to protect them.

Reply to Underfloor Heating in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock