Discuss Underground/buried connection in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hello all
I have been called out to quote for a garden job where the builder has run a 6mm armoured cable out to the garden, it's not long enough for it's final destination though and so I want to connect onto it, extend it and bury it. Never having buried an outside joint before what is a good product for the job? I see there are a variety of epoxy resin options but I can't seem to find one that I can easily maintain the armour's continuity.

Any suggestions much appreciated

Every resin cast joint I have ever done has come with braided earthing strap and constant pressure springs to link across the armourings.
Last few torpedo's resin joints I've had have had a jubilee clip and a metal ring (olive?) and braided earthing strap, and either choc blocs or through crimps. Still find the idea of using the choc blocs worrying so I'd use Wago's instead.

never underestimate the value of a jubileel clip!
It is your friend in many circumstances!
However, i wouldn't advocate them as ideal for cpc continuity cos i would get slagged off endlessly!
They also make novel napkin rings and can be used as an aid to premature....no, forget that...I'll get my coat!

Did one last week on 6mm 2core swa, builder had stuck the digger through it, it came with those constant force springs and strap, but I also kept a few strands of the armour long from each side and put in a couple of connectors aswell (kit came with 4)

Last edited:
I don't trust those spring/braid thingies. On small SWA's like the OP's 6.0mm I leave the steel long and join ALL the strands either in a 60a connector or a line tap. I don't trust Pratley boxes either. Had to dig up quite a few over the years where water has got in. Resin joints done correctly will never fail.

I don't like burying joints. Is there not scope to make the joint accessible for the future?

The Birkett ones seem to get good thing said about them:

They have the constant-force springs for CPC continuity (as mentioned by Andy78) and once filled with resin ought to be as good a seal as you can get. But I would read the instructions twice and follow them carefully!
[automerge]1591431161[/automerge]
At least at this time of year you ought not to have any issues with the mixing / viscosity / curing of the resin filler.

One thing that I don't get with these, and I've used a few....,

Regs say that screw terminations should remain accessible. Most of these kits use screw terminal connectors and are certainly not accessible, being encased in resin and buried half a metre down!

Regs say that screw terminations should remain accessible. Most of these kits use screw terminal connectors and are certainly not accessible, being encased in resin and buried half a metre down!
Yes, but screws encased in resin can't unscrew with thermal cycling or vibration!

Sort of Threadlock with extreme prejudice!

One thing that I don't get with these, and I've used a few....,

As far as I know the regs don't make any specific mention of screw connections being accessible. In fact 526.3 points out that a joint designed for burial need not be accessible.
[automerge]1591438242[/automerge]
I don't trust those spring/braid thingies. On small SWA's like the OP's 6.0mm I leave the steel long and join ALL the strands either in a 60a connector or a line tap. I don't trust Pratley boxes either. Had to dig up quite a few over the years where water has got in. Resin joints done correctly will never fail.

I know what you mean about the earthing springs. I have always wrapped them tight then tightly covered over with SA tape in the direction of spring coil to hold them fast while the resin is poured. Once the resin is in and set I have no worries about the connection.

Reply to Underground/buried connection in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock