Discuss Underground Cable to Outbuilding in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

DIYDVM

-
Reaction score
Hello!

The last few years, we have provided electrical service to our crib via an extension cord running from our detached garage (fed with 12-2 w/ ground 71 ft from the main breaker in the house) to the crib. We run a couple of 60 watt lights and a heater for our chicken waterer. I want to run underground cable to supply the crib with electricity. Here's the configuration:

House Main Panel
|
12/2 w/ ground 35 ft to outdoors + 36 ft underground
|
Garage Subpanel
|
30 ft up one wall, across the ceiling, down opposite wall
|
60 ft underground
|
Crib Subpanel

I have my trench dug to the 24 inches required to bury cable. I want to put this in schedule 80 PVC.

Here are my questions:
1) I can foresee re-running the feeder cable to the garage next year as I want to use a welder, what size cable do I need to run to get 50 amps of power to my garage - is that enough for a welder, lights, garage door opener, air compressor, saw, and other workshop equipment? Do I need to run ground as well, or can I use a grounding rod?

2) If I want 30 amps in my crib, do I need to run a separate line from my box in the house, or can I branch off the circuit in the garage and send it out to the crib? Same grounding question as 1.

Thank you for looking through all this.

Consult a local spark is my advice.

Internet advice can be misleading or just wrong...

From some of the terminology in your post I'm going to guess you are in the USA?
This forum is predominantly U.K. Based so we aren't best placed to advise you, you'd be better off asking on a USA based forum I think.

Are you in the UK? Just from how you've described things, it's sounds American (IE House panel, measuring in feet.)

OK. Now I see that in the browser address. Sorry for the confusion, I'll find a forum in the US or, as Murdoch suggested, I may contact an electrician.

Reply to Underground Cable to Outbuilding in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net