Discuss Underground feed in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
We are building a small house at a lake that has a 200 amp feed through panel at the meter pole at the street. We would like to install an underground feed to a 150 amp indoor panel at the house. Electricians want to run an SE 2/0 wire. I would prefer to run a 2/0SER RHH,RHW-2.
I believe that would give us a fire rated cable where it enters the house. I believe SE is not rated for burial. Any thoughts or recommendations?
Also, if the 150 amp panel is considered a sub panel, would I need a four conductor wire? A separate ground should be installed at the house.

We are building a small house at a lake that has a 200 amp feed through panel at the meter pole at the street. We would like to install an underground feed to a 150 amp indoor panel at the house. Electricians want to run an SE 2/0 wire. I would prefer to run a 2/0SER RHH,RHW-2.
I believe that would give us a fire rated cable where it enters the house. I believe SE is not rated for burial. Any thoughts or recommendations?
Also, if the 150 amp panel is considered a sub panel, would I need a four conductor wire? A separate ground should be installed at the house.
Hi and welcome to the forum and I looked up SE cable is not approved for underground with or without a raceway. If you want a subpanel yes you would have to use 4 wire cable or singles. It sounds like it will be installed underground but in your best interest your electricians need to install 2 inch PVC conduit with THHN insulation. They will need to pull two 2/0 for power and 1/0 for the neutral plus one # 6 ground wire. Any sub-fed panel has to keep the neutral wires and the ground wires separate which means they will have to have a ground bar in the panel and one bar for the neutral. Do not install a ground rod, at your main panel that the power company supplies. All the bonding takes place at the first panel using 2 ground rods I don’t recommend using RHH or RHW 2 use THHN Home Depot and Lowe’s sells THHN and not RHH or RHW 2. Good luck my friend

Thanks for input. Since there is a panel at the street and the panel in the house is a subpanel, wouldn’t We just pull three conductors and drive a separate ground rod at the house? Also leave the green screw off in the subpanel?

Thanks for input. Since there is a panel at the street and the panel in the house is a subpanel, wouldn’t We just pull three conductors and drive a separate ground rod at the house? Also leave the green screw off in the subpanel?
Yes don’t add the green screw. Your telling that the main panel is on a pole and how far is that from your home. Also walk out to the panel on the pole and see if there’s one or possibly 2 ground rods If so the new panel will be the sub- fed panel and you have to pull 4 wires as per the NEC and do not add it a rod it is a code violation. You will also as I stated before keep neutrals and grounds separate

Reply to Underground feed in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock