Discuss Underpinning knowledge questions, need some help. in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

D

DomCallear

Hi all, happy 2011 :D:D:D.
Just plodding along through my JTL underpinning knowledge questions and i'm stuck on one. So if anyone could help it would be much appreciated :eek:

"What are the main types, their advantages and limitations of different electrical connections?"
Now i can't find anything in any of my books or on the internet to tell me about different types of electrical connections, so any help would be amazing.

Thanks in advance
Dom

P.S. just another question i have come up against and got stuck on is to do with organisational procedures. So here it is;
"What are the organisational procedures for reporting variations to work schedules?"

Last edited by a moderator:
screw terminals, crimp terminals, push-in terminals (eg wagos), sure you can determine advantages and dis. of each. e.g screw are not ideal for flex. neither are wagos.etc.

Yeah it was mainly just the different types of connections i was struggling with, wasn't to sure what the question was asking for. Thanks for your help.

Hi all, happy 2011 :D:D:D.
Just plodding along through my JTL underpinning knowledge questions and i'm stuck on one. So if anyone could help it would be much appreciated :eek:

"What are the main types, their advantages and limitations of different electrical connections?"
Now i can't find anything in any of my books or on the internet to tell me about different types of electrical connections, so any help would be amazing.

Thanks in advance
Dom

P.S. just another question i have come up against and got stuck on is to do with organisational procedures. So here it is;
"What are the organisational procedures for reporting variations to work schedules?"

Get yourself an electrical fixtures and fitings catalogue fella. it will have lots of nice colour photos of exotic things such as cable, enclosures etc etc.

tinternet, the wonderful web. have a search. half the fun of learning is to find things out. not treying to be cruel here, but " seek and ye shall learn "

Last edited:
Wheres the best place to get my hands on one of these mate?

All good electrical wholesalers stock 'em mate. Even places like screw fix. Just look though their cats for the electrical section. These cats are good because they sometimes give you a heads up on new product lines etc. I remember when choc boxes were introduced and a lot of people though they were a stupid idea. However, they are now compulsory.

Hi Dom, going by the questions you have asked on here I believe that you only ask as a last resort. There not the normal "how do I change a lightbulb" but questions about paperwork that comes with the job. I don't want to offend but the problem may be the way you read the question. Eg, your 2nd question on this thread. Look at the key words so you can look in an index to take you to that section. "schedule of works" and "variations". The way c&g word their questions is not easy. Good luck in your education and ask away anytime.

Hi Dom, going by the questions you have asked on here I believe that you only ask as a last resort. There not the normal "how do I change a lightbulb" but questions about paperwork that comes with the job. I don't want to offend but the problem may be the way you read the question. Eg, your 2nd question on this thread. Look at the key words so you can look in an index to take you to that section. "schedule of works" and "variations". The way c&g word their questions is not easy. Good luck in your education and ask away anytime.

Bloody good point there fella. People don't seem to realize that you can be downgraded for NOT using proper terminology. And that could be the difference between a pass and a fail.

Its not city and guilds its JTL i've asked my employer some of these questions and he even thinks that the questions are worded badly also alot of people complain about the wording of some of these questions and as i've already left college (i did 2 years full time) now i'm working my way to the NVQ part. And yes your right i don't know how to comprehend some of the questions and when i search for the answer on the internet i end up with answers that aren't even electrical based. Thanks for your help but the questions i ask on here are the ones i'm seriously struggling with.

Its not city and guilds its JTL i've asked my employer some of these questions and he even thinks that the questions are worded badly also alot of people complain about the wording of some of these questions and as i've already left college (i did 2 years full time) now i'm working my way to the NVQ part. And yes your right i don't know how to comprehend some of the questions and when i search for the answer on the internet i end up with answers that aren't even electrical based. Thanks for your help but the questions i ask on here are the ones i'm seriously struggling with.
Listen mate, you won't hear a word against what you just said on here. People have been complaining about the wording used on exam papers for donkeys. So for some trainees it really can be a nightmare. Especially for those of whom English is a second language.

Exactly, my gaffer says the wording is terrible. They really should think about rewording some of these questions, or think of adding some points to help find your way to the answer.

Ok mate I'll keep an eye out for when you post them. I hate the c&g language and at college they gave us an extra lessons in how to understand it. Although your doing the NVQ it will be based on c&g.

Reply to Underpinning knowledge questions, need some help. in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net