Discuss underpinning knowledge questions in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Ryancole

-
Trainee
Reaction score
Hi I’m Currently taking the mature candidate course. for Part of the course I have to answer the underpinning knowledge questions. im struggling with a number questions, just wondering if anybody has the questions to hand and would be willing to share them with me please

1- What are the organizational procedures for reporting variations to work schedules?

2- What are typical contract responsibilities?
With reference to: agreeing variations to the installation outside the contract, start and finish dates and legal procedures.

3- What are the safety implications and economic consequences of supplying inaccurate or incomplete information to the customer

Hi - for the first one - I think they are looking to see if you understand who gives you your work. Here’s my thoughts, for what they’re worth :) .
“I receive my work schedule from my team leader who takes me through the tasks I need to perform this week and the materials to be used. If I have any issues with the tasks I consult with them for advice. If the job can’t be performed the way we’d discussed then an alternate plan will be developed and agreed. This might be if the planned cable route was not able to be used as there were other services discovered, for instance.”

1. Variations of contract
So initially a contract is formed. Dependent on the size there are differing methods of variation. While the law accepts both oral and written variations either way they MUST be mutual or have no effect at law. For instance if we contracted to buy 100 cheap LED panels and the employer/client said not good enough I want better ones, he can't enforce that. It would have to be agreed on both sides what quality and how much more that would cost.
Normally in larger contracts a variation clause is put into the contract which states the procedure that must be taken in the event of a variation saving re-writing the whole contract every time there is a change. This is normally in writing. And both parties must agree on the variation in writing with costs and time scales factored in. For instance if we agreed now to fit the LED panels and the client now wants fifty more fitted the time factor would have to be agreed with associated costs.
On a site the site manager would need to be informed for instance if there is a contract signed and sealed to build 20 new houses which had been costed up etc. Then a snag arises such as the law changes during contract requiring the foundations to be stronger. The site manager would then contact the project manager and then on to the client with costings and a variation agreed...or not! I think this kind of covers no. 2 in many respects. I think the essential item to take out of the above for 2 is the legal procedure for variation i.e. it must be mutually agreed or is unenforceable. An oral instruction from the site manager to the trades person is not sufficient to then charge the customer for the change of work. The customer must agree after being so informed.

3 safety and economic implications.
Fairly obvious with the safety aspects in that false or incomplete information to a client can lead to danger in say not operating or maintaining equipment safely leading to danger for the client. Or misrepresentation that an installation can provide energy required and leads to a greater demand than originally stated causing a fire for instance and therefore danger to persons property or livestock.
The economic consequences can first lead to the contract being void and no route for enforcing payment for work completed to the person providing poor or false information. As well it may be found the person/contractors are guilty of misrepresentation which could lead to H&S legal action/fines, and leave the contractor open to claims for personal injury in a civil action.
OK thats my best shot at it. Needs a bit of fleshing up which you should find in your course material. Also ask your tutor.
I do find variations even in a smaller scale that I do can lead to a lot of loss. You know the customer who says "oh and can you just be a poppet and put an extra xyz there" and the list goes on. It is important to make sure any variation of any size contract is costed and agreed by both parties BEFORE doing the extras people like to slip in.

Reply to underpinning knowledge questions in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net