Discuss Undersized Water bonding advice please. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Been out to price for another CU change this evening and would appreciate the groups advice.
When looking at the job I noticed that the water bonding is undersized at 4mm on 25mm tails so should be 10mm which is not a problem as I can include that in the quote.
Gas bonding has been done and is 10mm.

The problem I have is when I have gone to look at the main stopcock in the kitchen all the pipework has literally been plastered into the wall so all you can see is the handle of the stopcock. Told the client that I would need to chase the pipework out so I could check and upgrade the bonding accordingly but they would not be keen in this as the kitchen was only redone earlier in the year. The nearest place I could put my bonding without chasing out would be at the kitchen sink which is about 2m away from the stopcock.

How would you all approach this?
Thanks

If you can verify the incomer up to the S/C is plastic then you can probably forget it, otherwise it will need to be upgraded. No getout on that one.

Give it a quick check to see if it is actually extraneous.

Well for TNS the minimum is 6.0mm, not 10mm. If you state on the EIC that there are no signs of thermal damage and you consider it adequate then crack on. Your call, your name on the cert, but realistically it's never going to be a problem despite what I posted above.

Put it where you can then and make a note on the certificate stating client wouldn’t give permission to chase the wall out.

You can only do so much.
Think I'll quote for both options and then ring Stroma Tech support in the morning to see what their take would be.

Can't see the pipework but the house was built in the late 60's so I would imagine it's going to be metal.
Never say never :)
My home's about that age but at some point they've replaced the water service and there's a nice blue plastic pipe coming up to the stop cock.

There are times when common sense has to be the only course of action ...

Run the 10mm to under the sink .......then it won’t get filled over ... and will be accessible in the future

The results of 'is it extraneous?' tests are often misleading because of parallel paths, particularly if there is a combi boiler where the water service may be mechanically connected to the gas service.

Well for TNS the minimum is 6.0mm, not 10mm. If you state on the EIC that there are no signs of thermal damage and you consider it adequate then crack on. Your call, your name on the cert, but realistically it's never going to be a problem despite what I posted above.

I don't have the periodical, but I recall the Connections rag, changed its guidance on 'no thermal damage' scenario, to if it doesn't comply, then 132.16 must be observed, regardless of no damage.

The idea being, it might not have had the situation arise before, but it doesn't mean it might not happen in the future.

Reply to Undersized Water bonding advice please. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock