Discuss Unexplained power cuts to sockets. in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
I would like to know if anyone else out there has encountered the very strange phenomenon i'm currently trying to deal with.
The RCD on my 1990s bungalow recently began to trip-out my wall sockets at all hours of the day and night. my first thought was that I probably had a fault in either the freezer or the fridge, but it sometimes happened while the vacuum cleaner was being used.
But here's the really odd thing - our next door neighbour has had 'middle-of-the-night' power cuts to his wall sockets at exactly the same times as us.
I'm not an electrician, but I am struggling to believe this is even possible.
Any thoughts, please?

Could be a loose connection on the underground supply cable… losing a neutral maybe? Or a surge on the line?

There’s been a lot of work on the distribution nerwork recently with storms… is this rcd tripping a recent problem with you?

Could be a loose connection on the underground supply cable… losing a neutral maybe? Or a surge on the line?

There’s been a lot of work on the distribution nerwork recently with storms… is this rcd tripping a recent problem with you?
Thanks for that.
It started last december and for several weeks it only happened when we used the vacuum cleaner. More recently, the vacuum doesn't make it trip-out but we've been unable to locate the cause. Wouldn't the lighting cut out as well as the wall sockets if it was a loose connection on the underground supply?

it is a rare one but I had a similar fault a few years ago.
turned out to be a N to E fault that was difficult to find.
when a lawn mower was used in one house, the next door rcd tripped.
the house that had the issue with rcd called me in and I found the fault, I believe there was a similar fault next door and it caused parallel paths for the N current and hence tripped the rcd.

next door would not allow me to come in and do any testing so it has to remain a theory as I could not confirm the fault next door.

it is a rare one but I had a similar fault a few years ago.
turned out to be a N to E fault that was difficult to find.
when a lawn mower was used in one house, the next door rcd tripped.
the house that had the issue with rcd called me in and I found the fault, I believe there was a similar fault next door and it caused parallel paths for the N current and hence tripped the rcd.

next door would not allow me to come in and do any testing so it has to remain a theory as I could not confirm the fault next door.
Oh! That has sparked a bit of a 'light-bulb' moment - next door recently got an electric car, including all the attendant aditional wiring for the charge point.
I reckon that could have a lot to do with my RCD issue.
Thanks.

Reply to Unexplained power cuts to sockets. in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock