Discuss Unfused spur in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

D

Deleted member 112675

Hello All

I found a double kitchen socket that is simply "teed" into an existing 30A ring main. It was probably put in in the 1980s.

I have three questions about it:

1/ Would that have been ok back then and if so would I have to remedy this to pass a landlord safety check? (I'm not a big wealthy landlord just thinking about letting out my own house so I can go abroad).

2/ Easiest way to remedy it? I don't really need the socket so could rip it out. I was wondering if its allowed (if they exist) to fit some kind of integrated fused spur socket maybe allowing 13W in total?

3/ Would the electrician conduct the test set out in the on site guide that would find this ? I think he would need to test from every socket on the ring to do that. P.S. I'm likely to chose someone (nameless!) on this forum to do the inspect & test so asking this question might have me rumbled already ! :cool:

Edit: Just to add the socket is on the floor in the corner of the kitchen. I think it highly unlikely anyone would plug in two kettles (even one seems unrealistic) - maybe a hoover.

Last edited by a moderator:
One unfused spur is allowed. An FCU would be needed if feeding more than one single or double socket. What size cable is it wired in?

Assuming is is wired in the same size cable and there is only one double socket fed from this spur then it is complaint and no action should be needed.

Wohoo thats great news ! Thanks! Looks like its all been done in 2.5mm but I've never been great at measuring if I can't read off the cable.

Compare it to the other wires at the socket where it is connected.

Difficult to measure, to be fair....
the 2.5 is square millimetres.... the cross sectional area.... so unless you’re really steady with a ruler, and know your pi r squared, I’d just do as above and compare with the other cables.

or a photo posted here, showing the terminals on the back of the socket.... safely isolated of course. We’re pretty good at sizing cable by sight.

maybe the cable is ok, but when you say it’s on the floor? Maybe the positioning of the socket isn’t compliant. Photos again, please.

Reply to Unfused spur in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock