Discuss Unhappy customers in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

R

Richard3009

How many people have installed a new board for someone and the customer doesnt like it because of the tripping when they start using dodgy old portable drills mowers and when lamps blow etc.

How many people have installed a new board for someone and the customer doesnt like it because of the tripping when they start using dodgy old portable drills mowers and when lamps blow etc.

Been there done that. Tell them that new board is sensitive to dangerous faults that old one was not and prevents them using unsafe equipment.

Kitchen rewire with a shiny new "RCD thingy box" for their new kitchen. I finished on the the Friday, get a call Sunday morning. Conversation went like this:-

"My husband is trying to make me some toast and every time he turns it on it trips that RCD Thingy!"

"It must be faulty if that is the only thing plugged in???" (it was btw)

It cant be! Its new from Argos and cost £40 so not not a cheap on" (in a raised voice)

At this point the husband pipes up in the background..... "Will it have anything to do with me getting an electric shock from it earlier?"

Turns out he got his own toast stuck and tried to get it out with a knife whilst still turned on (LOL :rofl: )

"Take it back to Argos and tell them your electrician says the toaster is faulty".

Few hours later I get a phone call... "Changed it and tried it and it works fine. Sorry for shouting at you".

Some people!!!!!!

It saved me doing a 35 mile round trip all because of a round of toast lol. Phone call fault finding, dont you just love it :wink:

Last edited:
Slightly off subject I had a phone call from someone in desperation saying they had a cooker cable with insulation dripping and smouldering in the garage, told them to hit the main switch and get out the house. Called round they had been cleaning the cooker and then pushed it back into position a sharp unfinished edge cut into the cable. The protective device a piece of stripped 6mm core fitted in the fuse carrier, lucky not to lose his house.

Yeah, my Mum!
Rewired her house a few years back (material cost only) and when one of her 1980's oven elements started tripping the RCD she was straight on the phone, shouting and balling like I was still 5, with the typical 'we'll it worked ok before' response. She wanted me to go over and sort it there and then (Sunday afternoon) so she could cook her tea. I'm afraid the response she got was slightly less favourable!

Yeah, my Mum!
Rewired her house a few years back (material cost only) and when one of her 1980's oven elements started tripping the RCD she was straight on the phone, shouting and balling like I was still 5, with the typical 'we'll it worked ok before' response. She wanted me to go over and sort it there and then (Sunday afternoon) so she could cook her tea. I'm afraid the response she got was slightly less favourable!

You evil boy, that's ya Ma. You only get one lad you should have taken her out for a tea, in form of compensation :baby:

Ha ha ha, just read it back and it sounds worse than I intended it to!
I love my mum dearly, but if I remember correctly I was busy with the family, and bearing in mind I had sacrificed the several weekends previous in order to carry out said rewiring, wasn't going to cut my day out short (she did still have a perfectly functioning microwave and hob!)

Ha ha ha, just read it back and it sounds worse than I intended it to!
I love my mum dearly, but if I remember correctly I was busy with the family, and bearing in mind I had sacrificed the several weekends previous in order to carry out said rewiring, wasn't going to cut my day out short (she did still have a perfectly functioning microwave and hob!)
Let you off then Chris

Always told them upfront that the new RCD units are sensitive to any dangerous leaking to earth of electric..... this way they understand and your more likely to get a shock effect (no pun intended) when they tell you they can't believe they had been using a dangerous appliance.

I put a new DB in for the landlord's circuits of a house that a friend rented out as flats. Some tenants started reporting that the landing lights / heating / doorbell occasionally went off but came back on again. "Must be something wrong with that board" he said. "Could it be intermittent contacts?"

A visit to the premises revealed that the lock on the meter cupboard door had been interfered with, but no evidence of an electrical fault. I had a careful look at the BC holders on the stairwell lights and found one that had been hot, so suggested he returned late in the evening. A bayonet adaptor was duly found in that holder with a cable trailing under the nearby door. "I should have known it would be something to do with them," he said. They were soon packing their bags.

Moral - if you're going to nick leccy, do an IR test on your appliances first!

Always told them upfront that the new RCD units are sensitive to any dangerous leaking to earth of electric..... this way they understand and your more likely to get a shock effect (no pun intended) when they tell you they can't believe they had been using a dangerous appliance.
well this is it with BS3036s....

they`l hold fault all day long.....

as we all know...they will let go...but take a hell of a shove....

Changed a board for a customer and went back to do some additional work. He complained that the RCD had tripped, cut the power to the kitchen and blown his kettle and if it tripped again would it blow his new kettle. I explained that it was a lot more likely that the kettle had developed a fault which had tripped the RCD which in turn had protected him from an electric shock.

"Good these RCDs aren't they" he said.

Reply to Unhappy customers in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net