Discuss Unidentifed Cables from Main Supply in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
I have recently moved into a new house and had to reset the breaker after a bulb went. When I was crawling around with a torch, I noticed some cables (Red, Black, and Blue-ish/Green-ish) leaving the main supply and running into the wall without going through the meter or the consumer unit.

Unidentifed Cables from Main Supply Unidentified cables - EletriciansForums.net

Is this normal? Is there a second meter somewhere? Shared supply?

New consumer unit was fitted about 2 or 3 years ago.

I haven't been into the foundations yet to have a look but I thought someone here might have an idea of what they are for.

Thanks.

What sort of property is it, Terrace, Semi, Detatched?
Was it part commercial at one time, maybe a shop at the front?

Looks like they may have been fastened to the wall lower down but have been lifted up by whoever fitted the new Consumer unit.

Ring your energy supplier, they'll be able to look on the database and see if there's 2 meters registered to that address.

1960's semi-detached that has only ever been residential. Garage is detached and fed from one of the breakers on the consumer unit, so I know it's not that.

The cables are quite tight so I assume, as you have, they were moved (given the white paint) to fit the new consumer unit.

Where do your neighbours get their supply from?

Not sure, and I don't think I would get anything more than 'I don't know' if I asked.

Is it normal for semis to share electricity supplies? The house is in a large development and not out in the sticks.

Get tapped into that.....free leccy! ;)

Seriously though I’m surprised the DNO has done it like that as it’s really open to abuse! At least they should have used concentric cable, that would be difficult to splice into to steal electricity.

Seeing those cables made me think someone already had! Growing some magic green herbs or running a crypto farm...

Joking aside, is it worth me getting someone to investigate this? I know nothing is 'wrong' with my supply but I don't what to be accused of stealing electricity or get a shock off the cables at some point in the future.

Last edited:
An electrician may have a non contact voltage tester, which although not 100% should give an indication of voltage present.
He may also have a clip on ammeter which will show if any current is flowing (power being used)

If these stray cables are not passing through your meter, you’re not paying for someone else’s electricity.... however as suggested, there may be another meter for your property that you do not know about.

New CU 2 or 3 years ago? You might want to check. The test date sticker on the front hasn’t been filled in.

think you need to get DNO over for a shuffty.

Who should be my first point of contact?

- Electricity supplier
- Network operator
- Electrician
- someone else?

Think I might as well get it looked at given that it will drive me insane not knowing what the cables are for.

An electrician will be able to test it, and possible trace where it’s going.... but would not be able to remove it.

Try your supplier first, but they just might tell you to phone the network operator.

Called my electricity supplier and they confirmed the supply is for my property only and the adjoining neighbour has their own supply.

What's the next step? See if there is current in the wires? Go under the floor and try to trace where they lead?

I do hope this isn't an illegal setup...

clamp meter the red cable. see if it's carrying any current.

If there's no meter on the end of the cables, it will be for the D.N.O to disconnect but you'll need to find the ends to confirm that.

The DNO will want to know that they aren't cutting of someone with an unregistered meter or a legitimate unmetered supply.

Reply to Unidentifed Cables from Main Supply in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock