Discuss unistrut lighting system in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi in a factory with old t8 light fittings fitted and wired on a unistrut system.The job is to replace them with led fittings i suggested removing the unistrut replacing it with 50/50 galv trunking the factory boss wants to leave the unistrut to save time and money and rewire and fit new fittings to the existing unistrut any thoughts

boss is the boss. he wants lights mounting on fairy dust, you mount them on fairy dust.

I once got tasked with hanging flouries in a row using gripple wire.
Would not have been possible to space them how they wanted as there were things in the way.
Persuaded them to allow me to use 50mm X 50mm trunking in two rows with braces across for the fittings.
All wiring hidden away, used rods to hang the trunking.

not just as bad as that pvc only red and black, connectors,tape wires run over ballasts,over heating mounds of dust on top of unistrut. is there any regs not allowing unistrut to be used as a wiring system

sorry no photos yet there is a metal lid that covers the unistrut ,may require steel conduit drops later for power and switching that is the reason to replace with trunking for more space and connecting conduit

I use plenty of Unistrut but must admit I've never used it as cable trunking...… for fixing the trunking to, yep.
The thing is, with Unistrut you'll get a much better span than 2x2 or lighting trunking, which you'll have to fix more regularly.
Could you not use the existing stuff to fix trunking to with spring nuts and bolts?

yea thats what i want to do but the factory boss wants use the unistrut to save money on trunking and time
Tell him it isn't cable trunking and, as such, not suitable to carry the cables. I've never seen that lid on 'strut' before but Unistrut do trunking too.....different altogether.

Tell him it isn't cable trunking and, as such, not suitable to carry the cables. I've never seen that lid on 'strut' before but Unistrut do trunking too.....different altogether.

Unistrut can have a cover to the channel fitted. Not sure I would call it a lid.

Unistrut is perfectly fine to carry cables that do not need mechanical protection of steel trunking.

Reply to unistrut lighting system in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock