Discuss unistrut lighting system in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Unistrut can have a cover to the channel fitted. Not sure I would call it a lid.

Unistrut is perfectly fine to carry cables that do not need mechanical protection of steel trunking.
ie. swa, or equivalent…...I've done that, no prob

You can get a plastic lid that clips over the unistrut channel....if that’s any help?
View attachment 44258
You also get steel lid for unistrut.....and stainless steel 'dairy grade' lids as well.
I also regularly use it as containment for both cables and singles wiring, not sure why there'd be any advantages to using truking over unistrut or why unistrut wouldn't fit the bill admirably as containment.

Fair do's....but I use the original strut for fixing to, generally with spring nuts, which obviously prevents using it as a cable route.

If I use it as structural support ie bolted to a wall with cantilever brackets and spring nuts then no, I wouldn't use it as containment in those circumstances.

Suspended from a factory roof with fluorescents fixed to the underside....yep, containment.

Call me a cowboy unistrut lighting system images - EletriciansForums.net I don't care :cool:

Last edited:
Maybe wrong, but I would doubt it's bs standard rating for carrying single insulated cables. Much stronger than trunking, yes, but what about bushing, locknuts, bends, etc? It's not made for it.

There's nothing in our local regs preventing it being containment if it's installed accordingly but the UK regs may well not allow it.

There's no pre-formed bends as such, corners and tees are made by hand using a variety of winged brackets bolted on the backside of the strut.

Just a thought, are they singles in the unistrut @rockrose ?

If so then 521.10.1 requires IP4X containment for all non sheathed wiring. Might give you an argument to do a proper job.

That's my whole point, Neil. I presumed the wiring indicated was just that.

Before I done some research I would have insisted in rewiring in FP200 or similar.

However I have just checked an unistrut does conform to BS 61537 that is the Standard for wiring systems so it would appear that unistrut is suitable so long as it is installed to manufacturers specifications.

Every day is a school day.

yea thats what i want to do but the factory boss wants use the unistrut to save money on trunking and time
So the Factory Boss has no concern fro the safety of the Factory workforce, are you a member of any of the CPS schemes? if yes call the help line for advice, me, I would bin the idea of using the Uni strut as containment, if he won't budge on his demands then you may need to walk away.

Can you quote any reason why it wouldn’t be used? I don’t see no issue with using it as long as it had the correct lid.
As you said there is no cpc in this circuit, or have I got the wrong end of the stick?

Reply to unistrut lighting system in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock