Discuss Unqualified re wire in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi guys wonder if you can give me some advice.

I'm a 8 year qualified maintenance electrician in a power station and I'd say I have good understanding of domestic wiring having done multiple foreigners etc however I have no formal domestic qualifications.

A friend of mine has two investment properties he would like me to wire. One property is a new build bungalow which is currently being built and the other property is an existing house.

My questions are
1) am I able to officially do this, then have someone test and sign off work done
2) does he need to notify anyone prior to work
3) what differences do I need to take into account with both properties i.e new build/existing building
4) my main concern is for the new build. I understand part p takes place as it's a new build but I just dont want to carry out the work then realise the work carried out is void/not "official"

Or am I worrying too much?

Speak to your local building control and see what they require. Some will want notification through a third party scheme, some will want paying a couple of hundred quid to notify and inspect themselves others will just want an installation cert from you.

You might find a local firm who will sign it off for you

Or might find someone who will work with you and adopt the job as a joint venture

4) my main concern is for the new build. I understand part p takes place as it's a new build but I just dont want to carry out the work then realise the work carried out is void/not "official"

Or am I worrying too much?

Part P applies to both jobs equally, in fact it applies to all domestic electrical work.
It requires notification to building control for anything but the smallest of minor works, anything involving one or more new circuits, work in a bathroom etc needs notification.

As you are not registered your customer will need to include part P in their planning application process and building control should carry out inspections as part of their full plans application duties. You will need to speak with the relevant building control department to establish exactly what their procedure is.

As Dave says. I'm currently finishing off a domestic installers course and my aim was to rewire my existing house and the additional circuits in a new extension. I'm allowed to do it via building control and logging a formal notice with them. I'm in Colchester and it costs about £200. for that fee they send around an electrician who wil inspect at first fix and then test at second fix. I intend to test it all myself before his last visit out of intrest and to make sure I dont have any nasty surprises.

@neon1991 yes, that’s the official “DIY” way of doing things, officially.

@adsmith as above, you really need to engage a registered spark to work with. Especially for the new build, you will need to be fully conversant with ALL of the relavent building regs, not just Part P. Part M will be of particular relavence.

The new build will present all sorts of approved documents, that you will need to adhere to. As @Taylortwocities said Part M and I'm thinking of Part F.

You'll need to get up close & personal with your LBC Inspector. Can I ask why you're considering taking on this work?

A new build and a full rewire and quite big jobs for one man to undertake , even more so if you are working full time.
I would look to get a domesticated installer on board with you to share the load.
Perhaps you can do most of the work at the weekends and get them to over look the jobs and help out when they get a spare day ? This way would also get you a certificate and partpee taken care of all in one go.

Reply to Unqualified re wire in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock