Discuss Unskilled management v skilled knowledge in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Ccboy

-
Reaction score
Afternoon All
Wanted to put something out there.Been with company 18years but increasingly the people in charge of the dept including the head are non skilled at anything,recruited on the cheap and worryingly making some poor decisions.
To a degree the odd time we have locked horns with them they back down once they understand the legalities and health and safety issues.
I wondered what the general feelings were if anybody else is in similiar circumstances and how you deal with it.

I think this is one of those things that if we clocked how to handle it, we'd all be millionaires and stress-free.

This is one of those scenarios where experience shines through. You knowing this, and dealing with this, will help in the future to avoid locking horns. Somebody not experienced going up against the management would fail to get their point across and realistically risk quality of the job, and safety.

Budget cuts are everywhere now, this is the new standard. It wont be short term like a lot of companies convince themselves it will be.

So just keep calm, stick to the rules. Change the rules collectively and have the end-aim pointed out and clear throughout all discussions.

So be clear when a change is for profit. And be clear when a change or action is for safety. And don't get the two mixed up. And tell them not to mix them up too.

This is always going to be a hard one. And it's why a lot of people leave or get sacked or whatever. Trying to get your point across without getting wound up is a skill you need develop though, you just can't get through to everybody so choose your battles as they say. :)

Often management without the correct technical knowledge to back up a proper argument will use shouting and other bullying tactics to get what they want done in the way they want it doing.

A consistent and professional response is generally the best way to respond, backed up with the technical reasoning as to why it has to be done this way rather than the requested way.

If it is coming to blows, after a verbal discussion, send an email to them roughly quoting what was discussed, giving a clear and concise technical argument as to what the correct way to do it is and finally asking for clarification by return email.

Most of the time you will not get a response as they are unwilling to put down in writing a works order to do it in a certain way if they haven’t got the knowledge to back it up.

Edit,
In the end my final way of dealing with it was to resign and start my own business.
It is not a path I would recommend to everyone but has worked out well for me.

There is a concept known as 'upward management'... it's not always easy, but is very common if you look for it... you just need to learn how to influence the decisions of those that make them...

Someone who has the ability to make a decision will always impress the top bods. Whether it is the correct decision is a different matter altogether.
It's all about production and cost cutting.
I've had a situation with a regular contractor and new management. They, supposedly, know what's best so it's a case of leave them to it.
With me, it's see what happens when the tumbling starts.......and turn up on my terms, if required.

Afternoon All
Wanted to put something out there.Been with company 18years but increasingly the people in charge of the dept including the head are non skilled at anything,recruited on the cheap and worryingly making some poor decisions.
To a degree the odd time we have locked horns with them they back down once they understand the legalities and health and safety issues.
I wondered what the general feelings were if anybody else is in similiar circumstances and how you deal with it.
Sometime I feel like this myself. Its incredibly frustrating and I always feel like corners are being cut to save a couple of quid. I try to back my arguments up with regulations etc. But just tend to get ignored the majority of the time so I just make sure and jobs I am doing are exactly as they should be. Everything else that others do is their problem.

Came across many know it all Managers in my many overseas trips, relying on the skills of others to butter their egos and perceived knowledge in the return ti the UK. There are Some good ones, but they are in the minority, in my opinion, I have some stories, to long to write about.

I often deal with unskilled managers

When I first started to be involved in production meetings, I remember people flinching at how blunt I was. The production manager didn't flinch, he just said alright then, you don't get to criticise unless you have a better idea.

He now often gets me to sit in on meetings because he reckons I'm not a yes man and will stop him from getting carried away. Apparently I'm good at bringing him back down to Earth.

It probably also helps that he knows that I am a miser at heart, so if I want to spend company money, then it must need to be spent.

I often deal with unskilled managers

When I first started to be involved in production meetings, I remember people flinching at how blunt I was. The production manager didn't flinch, he just said alright then, you don't get to criticise unless you have a better idea.

He now often gets me to sit in on meetings because he reckons I'm not a yes man and will stop him from getting carried away. Apparently I'm good at bringing him back down to Earth.

It probably also helps that he knows that I am a miser at heart, so if I want to spend company money, then it must need to be spent.
Yep, someone on a higher pay grade, prepared to listen and surrounding themselves with the right people. Be careful not to work yourself out of a job though ;) My old man was a production engineer. Organised everything so well that he was made redundant.

Yep, someone on a higher pay grade, prepared to listen and surrounding themselves with the right people. Be careful not to work yourself out of a job though ;) My old man was a production engineer. Organised everything so well that he was made redundant.
I did work 150 hrs over the last two weeks, there is little chance of that.

I was feeling a bit burnt out yesterday evening to be honest.

To me, it sounds like the "unskilled manager" is more skilled at managing you than you are at managing him.
Not really, I know what I got myself into.

The unskilled manager is a former toolmaker and he had the same experience when he was on the tools.

It's just part of the job. We're well paid for it.
[automerge]1571599342[/automerge]
Holy shitballs! That’s a months work for me!....slow down man life is short...
The idea is to be able to buy a house without a mortgage in a year or so

Not really, I know what I got myself into.

The unskilled manager is a former toolmaker and he had the same experience when he was on the tools.

It's just part of the job. We're well paid for it.
[automerge]1571599342[/automerge]

The idea is to be able to buy a house without a mortgage in a year or so
Fair play to ya mate......

Management can be a very subtle thing... I was talking to someone the other day who was adamant that she was too senior in her company to be managed. An intriguing thought. She then went on to tell me that the director she reports to just gives her 'objectives'. I tried to explain that he was managing you by those objectives, but she wouldn't accept it...

Reply to Unskilled management v skilled knowledge in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net