Discuss Unskilled management v skilled knowledge in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Had lots of managers over the years , very few good ones , the best usually had been on the tools in the same or similar jobs

Just seems to be a big worthless bureaucracy now, they just invent new paperwork schemes for everyone to fill in to collect data, usually aimed at reducing costs by setting unrealistic targets putting pressure on staff trying to meet them which more often doesn't have the desired effect ruins staff confidence and morale until the best people leave for better jobs!

One of the best managers I ever had always said
" My Job isn't to rule you, it's about doing everything I can to make the guys on the tools jobs easier, I do the running around so you don't have to, meaning you can get on and do the job you're paid to do and the byproduct of that is more efficient working "

And he did, always there to help, never belittled anyone struggling, he'd often drop what he was doing and go help whether that meant on the tools or the broom, he was careful who he employed anyone abusing it didn't last long and it was a great shame when he retired

life is short and the only thing we have in the end is time.....
Absolutely! this is by far the most precious commodity one can never have enough of! In the past 2 years I have lost 3 dear friends to cancer. All 3 far too young to die and they all worked too hard and did not live life to the full.
One of dear Kate's last conversations with me before she passed was her worrying about doing things that she had always wanted to, and now, when its too late, the overwhelming regret of not living her life to the full as she had really wanted.

Absolutely! this is by far the most precious commodity one can never have enough of! In the past 2 years I have lost 3 dear friends to cancer. All 3 far too young to die and they all worked too hard and did not live life to the full.
One of dear Kate's last conversations with me before she passed was her worrying about doing things that she had always wanted to, and now, when its too late, the overwhelming regret of not living her life to the full as she had really wanted.
I'm sorry for your loss

However my Grandfather on his death bed, could only complain about how he wouldn't be able to do any more work, and that he was complaining that his sons hadn't the same work ethic as him.

This was actually true, there was no big goodbye, his final moments were instructions on how to continue running the farm.

I'm sorry for your loss

However my Grandfather on his death bed, could only complain about how he wouldn't be able to do any more work, and that he was complaining that his sons hadn't the same work ethic as him.

This was actually true, there was no big goodbye, his final moments were instructions on how to continue running the farm.

Thank you,

Ah.. In my experience the vast majority of farmers (my bold) see their job as their life (and it is for most) so I can understand your Grandfather's view point.

I have a friend who runs a family owned farm and his father lives and breathes the farm and cannot get his head around why my friend (his son) wants to jet off on holiday with his wife and kids for 2 weeks a year. It really kills his pig (excuse the pun) why his son needs to take such a "long" break.

Thank you,

Ah.. In my experience the vast majority of farmers (my bold) see their job as their life (and it is for most) so I can understand your Grandfather's view point.

I have a friend who runs a family owned farm and his father lives and breathes the farm and cannot get his head around why my friend (his son) wants to jet off on holiday with his wife and kids for 2 weeks a year. It really kills his pig (excuse the pun) why his son needs to take such a "long" break.
It was sort of funny in a way

There was no big going into the light, talking about his predeceased wife etc.

My own father who wasn't involved with the farm literally rolled his eyes.

I spent much of my time before I retired behind a desk pen pushing and I hated it.

OK I was doing mainly R&D (wreck and destroy) work which was interesting.

Learn how the process works before telling someone else how to do their job.

Learn how the process works before telling someone else how to do their job.

Not just learn but actually have a go yourself if possible.

I remember a fella who had done the same job (dispatch) very well for many years he worked 50 hours a week doing a consistent quantity. One time he fell ill and someone else had to take over. The new guy, after a couple of weeks learning, did the same job just as well and at the same consistent quantity in 40 hours. Turned out he discovered a better method which enabled more efficiency. On return the original fella, surprisingly took it all in good faith and adopted the new system.

Sometimes a new way is a better way, other times something is done a certain way cause that's the best way. But no one should comment or criticise unless they are prepared to get their hands dirty and find out.

Reply to Unskilled management v skilled knowledge in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net