Discuss Unsure of qualification from provider in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
hi everyone,

I’m currently a heating/gas engineer. I did Part P about 4 years ago and am thinking of becoming a fully qualified electrician, however I’m not interested in commercial work.

I’ve found a training provider and I’m not sure if what they’re telling me is correct.

A Domestic Electrical Installer only allows you to work up to the consumer unit doesn’t it? As in I wouldn’t be able to change or install one?

The list of certificates I’d get are:

Part P Defined Scope
C&G 2382 18th Ed
Part P Full scope
C&G 2392
C&G 2365 - units: 211/601, 602, 203, 204, 210

I’ve tried calling Niceic but they’re closed.
Any help would be very much appreciated.

Cheers
James

A domesticated installer with a scam can notify domestic work to building control , that is it....

If you want to be a domesticated installer you will need to do what the scam sorry scheme requires of you

Most likely the 18th regs course ?

The good thing about domesticated installers is they're toilet trained.

Don’t worry about the naysayers on here pulling to pieces part p they spent 3 years studying doing all the rubbish work, and then had to pass a real pain of an exam to get their qualification. They are now upset because they have all this knowledge they never use but feel they should be paid an enhanced rate for . However they are generally being undercut by individuals with a reasonable bit of nouse and ability. Who got an equally valid qualification for the purpose of the majority of the work sparky in the domestic field do over a few months.
Unless it has changed your part p full scope ( I think it has an A on your cert) means that you have passed an exam and test which demonstrates you have learnt the necessary procedures to undertake basic domestic electrical work competently and safely this includes rewires board changes house bashing etc. You can compleat your own certs to provide clients but they will be green.
If your client needs work registering for building Controle they will have to pay bc a fee. You can register with NEICE who will come out and check a couple of jobs you have done and ask you to test a couple of circuits in the board assuming you remember your safe isolation procedure, refer to your on site guide, have the relevant insurance a H&S policy and a complaints procedure. they will also asses you as competent. for a fee they will then let you use nice red certs and you can self register your work for building control purposes .
I recommend you find a small builder doing a decent sized extension or even a couple of new housers and offer to do work at a fair price. You can use these for your assessment (It’s easier than getting inspected on rewires. ) If you just want to do stuff related to boiler instals You can still join niceic for that. And they will asses you against that sort of work. Good luck

Don’t worry about the naysayers on here pulling to pieces part p they spent 3 years studying doing all the rubbish work, and then had to pass a real pain of an exam to get their qualification. They are now upset because they have all this knowledge they never use but feel they should be paid an enhanced rate for . However they are generally being undercut by individuals with a reasonable bit of nouse and ability. Who got an equally valid qualification for the purpose of the majority of the work sparky in the domestic field do over a few months.
Unless it has changed your part p full scope ( I think it has an A on your cert) means that you have passed an exam and test which demonstrates you have learnt the necessary procedures to undertake basic domestic electrical work competently and safely this includes rewires board changes house bashing etc. You can compleat your own certs to provide clients but they will be green.
If your client needs work registering for building Controle they will have to pay bc a fee. You can register with NEICE who will come out and check a couple of jobs you have done and ask you to test a couple of circuits in the board assuming you remember your safe isolation procedure, refer to your on site guide, have the relevant insurance a H&S policy and a complaints procedure. they will also asses you as competent. for a fee they will then let you use nice red certs and you can self register your work for building control purposes .
I recommend you find a small builder doing a decent sized extension or even a couple of new housers and offer to do work at a fair price. You can use these for your assessment (It’s easier than getting inspected on rewires. ) If you just want to do stuff related to boiler instals You can still join niceic for that. And they will asses you against that sort of work. Good luck

Are you on the wine again ?

No but I thought I would try and demonstrate what a helpful reply looks likeo_O
I appreciate the reply! By no means am I trying to ---- people off or shortcut getting a 'proper' qualification - I just want some advice. I'm in no rush to get 'qualified' in 6 weeks.

Anyhow, I've decided against it because it seems all the course providers are just out for money and will say anything to enrol you and I'd rather not waste £6k. I can't afford to not work while I'm training and I'm too old for an apprenticeship. I guess I'll stick with my current trades.

Again, thanks for the reply, I appreciate it.

I think it's all relative.

They are apprentices who have done the full training but only done domestic, only done commercial and so on and so on. Leaving a lack of skills in certain areas. Jesus I never studied boiler controls in college or did them onsite during apprenticeship yet my first job after qualifying I was tasked with boiler controls?

Mark speaks the truth and think people understand that but dont like to carry the conversation on.

Every day is a school day that's what i always stand by.

Thank you DT, I had the same issue as a bricky never laid a brick except at college until my first job out of my time all was good and a derby a lot and fast in those first few months, my favourite days are the ones when I learn something.

I would have thought it is up to the meter connection or isolator, not just up to the CU.
I wouldn’t bother with any Part P qualifications or the 18th if you intend doing core electrical qualifications while the 18th is in force.
Don’t know what the 2392 is, or what the units of the 2365 would signify?

Reply to Unsure of qualification from provider in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock