Discuss Unsure SWA cable size I have? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Kevlar11

DIY
Reaction score
Hi guys, hopefully somebody can help. I have some driveway lamp posts with the armoured cable installed though the middle of the concrete pad. Unfortunately whoever installed this did a rubbish job as the concrete is not level and the posts look awful. I was going to cut the cable and dig out the concrete and reset the pad straight and using new cable from the cut point 1-2 meters at a guess. However I’m unsure of the existing cable size I’m guessing it’s 2.5mm but would like some help from you guys. There is no marking on the cable the cable is roughly 13mm but that doesn’t fit with any size charts I’ve seen? I’ve taken some photos to help paint the picture. The lights are coming of the garage mcb which feeds an internal light and double socket and spurs over to the opposite of garage to feed the 2 driveway lamps I know it’s 3 core as I took the plate off to take a look

DE5CD0C2-D1FF-4114-987E-33037C2E924A.jpeg 3BCEE946-3268-4A45-B3B9-98A9390B89F9.jpeg 10FAB644-35AC-42F3-A58D-E7CD8F877DEB.jpeg CA803FB7-7906-4981-9825-794F8AEF40C9.jpeg 70C226B9-C510-4CAB-83CE-C298BB3DDE21.jpeg 3B815A9C-A8EC-4713-B7CE-8C163F676CDF.jpeg F0CA6C21-46E2-49B5-9680-5428EC688AA3.jpeg 7A31C5B8-6652-4365-A93E-E419154B50D0.png AEA06B1A-F83F-4779-82CB-4C49A2DC24E7.png

Last edited:
Hi guys, hopefully somebody can help. I have some driveway lamp posts with the armoured cable installed though the middle of the concrete pad. Unfortunately whoever installed this did a rubbish job as the concrete is not level and the posts look awful. I was going to cut the cable and dig out the concrete and reset the pad straight and using new cable from the cut point 1-2 meters at a guess. However I’m unsure of the existing cable size I’m guessing it’s 2.5mm but would like some help from you guys. There is no marking on the cable the cable is roughly 13mm but that doesn’t fit with any size charts I’ve seen? I’ve taken some photos to help paint the picture. The lights are coming of the garage mcb which feeds an internal light and double socket and spurs over to the opposite of garage to feed the 2 driveway lamps I know it’s 3 core as I took the plate off to take a look

View attachment 52846 View attachment 52847 View attachment 52848 View attachment 52849 View attachment 52850 View attachment 52851 View attachment 52852 View attachment 52853 View attachment 52854
May say on the PVC SHEATH somewhere if you have enough access to it.

The concrete might have been level and the posts vertical until someone drove into them or over the edge of the concrete pads. So you'd need to make sure that doesn't happen again.

The concrete might have been level and the posts vertical until someone drove into them or over the edge of the concrete pads. So you'd need to make sure that doesn't happen again.
I was going to move them further from the drive and closer to the fence hence why need to cut and rejoin, just not sure with what cable?

Not on the garage side, I could try at the post end?
[automerge]1570277108[/automerge]
FWIW I hate post / pillar lights , they just are inviting someone to run them over...
I’m not a fan myself, unfortunately I need something because it’s too dark as there is field and woods the other side of that fence so there is no street lighting. One of the days neighbours parks really selfishly and is inviting problems.

How about some LED sensor floodlights on fence posts ?
I have thought about alternatives. It’s a shared driveway between 4 houses with the wiring going back to mine. I moved in a year ago, I’m reluctant to put anymore money when these others have lived here for 10 years + and contribute nothing. I’ve paid for drive way repairs and maintenance, we have a very bad ant invasion here which costs a lot to keep on top off for, grass cutting etc. They do nothing and pay nothing so I’m not giving them something nice for free anymore. Besides I’m not sure who owns the fence?
[automerge]1570279446[/automerge]
Nothing

Attachments

• D36F10E4-A028-4E2D-AE91-7894DB565DF0.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 79
Last edited:
I think its good to go, whether 2.5 or 4. Bummer about have to pay for your neighbours; nothing in the covenants for your house.

I'm sure there will be something like that. If not it will be a nightmare if ever the drive neds major repairs or replacement in future years.

Hi - my thought is it 3x1.5 - it is a bit less diameter, but the cable you’re measuring might be a bit out of round (perhaps take an average of several measurements from different angles).
Next thought is don’t cut the existing cable as your first option, as another joint is just another point of failure in the future. Perhaps try gently breaking up the concrete pad and seeing how it goes.

Hi - my thought is it 3x1.5 - it is a bit less diameter, but the cable you’re measuring might be a bit out of round (perhaps take an average of several measurements from different angles).
Next thought is don’t cut the existing cable as your first option, as another joint is just another point of failure in the future. Perhaps try gently breaking up the concrete pad and seeing how it goes.
Was thinking about gently doing it but two problems I can see. 1 is I would have to dig up up the entire trench to move the second light as I can’t imagine there being much slack under ground. 2 is there are some nicks in the cable exposing the earth/armour.

Reply to Unsure SWA cable size I have? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net