Discuss Unswitch spur in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

personally i prefer D/P, if only to isolate both live and neutral in case of an earth fault, without disconnecting at spur.

could you not feed a new socket in an adjacent cupboard from the one behind the appliance. blank plate old socket if you want. that would give you local isolation.

That's why I said technically.
Your suggestion to spur off the existing socket to another cupboard sounds favourite.
I'd consider not blanking off the existing socket for future use, unless that socket is itself a spur.

That's why I said technically.
Your suggestion to spur off the existing socket to another cupboard sounds favourite.
I'd consider not blanking off the existing socket for future use, unless that socket is itself a spur.
agreed, the socket could be blanked though, using wagos to connect, and could easily then be reinstated if required.

Technically the device in the CU offers isolation.

correct in some sences but you are required to be able to isolate locally just in case some one switches the breaker back on ,yes i know about lock offs not so easy with a rewireable, sorry spotted the rest of your post ,, you should never wear glasses and drink wine ,blury vision and all that

Last edited by a moderator:
Why not use a switched fused connection unit with flex outlet to the bottom (rather than the front)

That's compliant, and not much deeper than the socket outlet would be on it's own without a plug.

Functional switching - on the appliance.

Isolation and "switching off for mechanical maintenance" - the SFCU

Emergency switching - the MCB/RCBO in the CU.

I accept you're making do with the situation you have, but at the design stage for new work you'd put the means of isolation in a more accessible place, eg above the worktop.

Simon.

BTW... if the appliance comes with a moulded plug, it may void the warranty if you cut it off. Best have a chat with the manufacturer's tech helpline to clarify.

Last edited by a moderator:
I always thought that all accessories must be accessible? Is it permitted to have an outlet or joint behind a built-in appliance? or is this one of those "regulations" one assumes, but does not actually exist?

Reply to Unswitch spur in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock