Discuss Unusual location of pull cord shower isolator - code? in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

W

WDMDL

I'm doing an EICR at the moment for a family member, so most of the remedials are being done as the defects are discovered.
As such, it's gone up to 100% sampling because of what's been found.

The bathroom is upstairs, but the pull cord isolator for the shower is mounted on the WALL.... in the cubbyhole under the stairs!

Now I wouldn't put one there, but I can't actually find a reg that it doesn't comply with, other than the general provisions of 514.1.1 and 530.3.

Any thoughts?

Simon.

Pull cord on the wall! Like it!

I guess that needs changing to a switch, as for the location I'm not sure either so hopefully somebody will enlighten both of us!

As long as its assessible for maintance reasons i can't see any issues, In the past my firm have installed these in airing cubboards just outside the bathroom for various reasons. Or even next to the Fuseboard!

It's almost as good as the perfectly good loop-in ceiling rose...that was full of individual choc blocks!

Maybe they didn't have a small enough terminal driver for the screws?

Simon.

If you just change the pull-cord switch to a lockable 50A DP switch or isolator in the cubbyhole please remember as part of complying with 514.9.1 to place a note at the DB detailing the Type, Rating and Position of the switch to inform any spark coming behind you of its location. The switch/isolator needs to be lockable in order to comply with 537.3.1.2

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to Unusual location of pull cord shower isolator - code? in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net