Discuss unusually / dangerously high mains voltage at home in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

N

nathandance1996

I noticed late at night (11pm) that the 40w bulb in my lamp was unusually bright and slightly blue in color rather than yellow, the same happened with the ceiling lights, both mains and 12v. I have recently had local electrical problems such as brownouts, so I measured the mains voltage with a multimeter, it should 285v ac, it should only show 250v max according to guidelines.

Could this be dangerous and cause devices to fail or worse, cause a fire?
the local transformer at the end of the road is full of grass and hasn't been maintained, could this be partly to blame?

285V is very high assuming your test equipment is accurate. High voltages can be caused by a neutral fault. I would strongly suggest you get an electrician around to do some basic tests before your appliances go toes-up.

285V is very high assuming your test equipment is accurate. High voltages can be caused by a neutral fault. I would strongly suggest you get an electrician around to do some basic tests before your appliances go toes-up.

the dno would be a better call

If you believe your supply voltage is higher than it should be, then you can pay to have an electrician check it out, and assuming it is too high you can then contact the DNO.
Alternatively, find out if the DNO will come and check it for free...most will.

I would have suggested a spark first off but the OP mentioned 'local' problems which I read as more than his/her property being affected.

Edit: OP where are you located? One of the forum members may be able to assist.

I would have suggested a spark first off but the OP mentioned 'local' problems which I read as more than his/her property being affected.

Edit: OP where are you located? One of the forum members may be able to assist.

I am located near Bognor Regis, I'm not sure if power problems are a nationwide or only regional problem, as we have also had voltage drops in the day (lights turning off then on for a second, this causes all the workshop lights to go out for a few minutes as they are HID bulbs)

sse are the company that are supposed to maintain substations, transformers and streetlights, we have recently had all the street lights replaced, so they may not have had time to maintain the local distribution systems

Bit far for me to travel. Have to called anyone in yet?

street lights will come out the councils budget maintaining a TX will come out of distributors budget, that's probably why they are dragging their heels.

Reply to unusually / dangerously high mains voltage at home in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock