Discuss upgrade meter tails, or downgrade main incoming fuse?? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

M

martinsayer81

hi guys

hoping you could give me your thoughts,

i am pricing for a consumer unit change, its an old fuseboard with re-wireables.
it has 16mm meter tails, but it has a fairly new looking 100A main fuse.

its a small-ish house..... 2 ring mains, 2 lighting radials, a couple of sockets in the garage, and an immersion heater radial,

i was wondering whether or not i could just down-grade the main fuse to a 60A and keep the existing 16mm tails( no damage, or signs of overheating or burning)
or whether i have to leave the fuse at 100A and fit 25mm tails?

there's no electric shower or oven,

i would appreciate your advice

many thanks

as above^^^ it may say 100A on the outside, but be a 60A fuse on the inside. just leave the 16mm tails in, and the fuse is not your responsibility.

the only way to know for sure is for your hand to slip onto the seal whilst holding snips...........

As #2 & #3 the 16mm tails were probably installed by the DNO along with the fuse, I would be more concerned that the earthing and bonding was correct for the supply characteristics

its the dno 100A fuse,
at the moment i am just going on the sticker on the outside, it was late in the evening when i looked at the job, and couldnt pull the fuse to check,

wouldnt it be against the regs to leave the 16mm tails with a 100A fuse?

i just dont want to get any come backs

its the dno 100A fuse,
at the moment i am just going on the sticker on the outside, it was late in the evening when i looked at the job, and couldnt pull the fuse to check,

wouldnt it be against the regs to leave the 16mm tails with a 100A fuse?

i just dont want to get any come backs

The OSG pictures assume you are working on a new build....

Do they have 3 electric showers, multiple cookers, a canabis factory in the loft..... The usage for a house is unlikely to rise about 35 amps so I'd leave them welll alone.

Hold onto your snips martin,
The requirement for 25mm tails are part of the PME supply regulations so if the supply is PME there is no getting away from that

Is it a major hassle to upgrade? If not price it in you can get a 2 meter tail pack for 15 - 20 quid

The OSG pictures assume you are working on a new build....

Do they have 3 electric showers, multiple cookers, a canabis factory in the loft..... The usage for a house is unlikely to rise about 35 amps so I'd leave them welll alone.

so, basically, if it does turn out to be a 100A fuse in the holder, it would still be ok to leave the 16mm tails due to a low demand?

its a tns supply, the only upgrade to the earthing i have to do is the main earth, all the main earth and earth bonding at the moment is 10mm

Yes but you didn't factor in the air fare it cost to go to china and back to get the gear
what it is.....is their `offcuts`...their issued with...lets say a 25 meter drum of tails.....so they put more on a job..than it really was....the rest goes on the bootsale...lol....god, he`s got allsorts..C/Us chuffin RCBOs..drums of twin...lol...

Sounds a good bargain, I'm only jokeing around :)
i only get gear at wholesalers as if there's a problem I feel I have a warranty in place

OK Martin, With a TNS and a run of less than 2 mtrs you can use 16mm tails as a foot note they normaly fit 80 amp fuses in the DNO for domestic properties nowdays previously they fitted 60 amp

Reply to upgrade meter tails, or downgrade main incoming fuse?? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock