Discuss Upgrade of fat braid main earth conductor in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

S

SW1970

Hi folks, about to do a domestic PIR and observed during survey that the main earth conductor is flat braided copper. Didn't measure but from photo it looks either 6 or 10mm2 CSA. Assuming that Captain Adiabatic tells me it's inadequate, when I call on supplier to upgrade, will they most likely replace with larger braid or put on a new sheath clamp with appropriate round cable? Many thanks, SW

Did you get the measurements of it?

Nominal area (mm²)Width (approx. mm)Thickness (approx. mm)Wire diameter

Last edited by a moderator:
No but it's either 6 or 10mm2. But back to my question, does the DNO replace with new clamp and round cable, or simply fit larger braid?

It's the DNO property mate and all you can really do is call them, but I know that if you have a good Ze value for it they will do nothing.

If I got a good Ze value, then I would basically leave it alone, You could note it, but it's not part of our installation so as long everything the customer side is ok then your good.

It may even be an old DIY TN-S done by a bygone sparks

i=p/u, no, it's not just a water pipe. Why would an electrician post a picture of a supply cable with an earth strap around it and ask what the DNOs approach would be if it was a water pipe? Let me quote you something:

"aint easy isit, dealing with cable pullers like myself. ive no expierience with testing so just done R1+R2 with multimeter"

A 16mm2 earthing conductor is not strictly required if the adiabatic equation allows it. But, I had not appreciated, per malcolm's comment, that this may be a DIY TN-S, in which case, the DNO would state they are not supplying an earth. What would happen then if there was an incident (this property has no RCD). If I'd done a job and walked away, yes, I probably be liable.

One needs to be very careful giving technical advice or commentary on a forum like this. Because a DIYer, an apprentice or someone with little experience might (foolishly) take the advice and then go and kill themselves or someone else.

old news that sw1970, thats why the forum has put at top of screen, this an open forum , do not take informations as facts or something like that. theres loads of stuff and there is everydaay that is wrong and in an open forum, so what is it lol il look again chill man..

i=p/u I was told a long time ago

"Speak when you spoken to, listen when men speak as you may learn something, if we want your advise it won't be asked for until it is worth something"

That as stood me in good stead, and if you actually do it it may do you some good.

Think all of us on here are quite happy to help you with your problems, and sometimes your home spun humour is quite amusing, but when you start to give advice when your not capable of doing it, then I think it is wise to point this out to you.

You lads I'm afraid missed out on what I had and that was an old fart like me telling you as I was told above, this is why SW1970 asked a question on something he had never seen, and Tony and others who had seen it all before have tried to help him, and we are glad we can as that is how it should be, passing on our knowledge and experience to you lads.

Now son sit in the corner or make the tea, and the broom don't push itself around, and perhaps listen and ask us and we will tell you, honestly we will

ayee i know im full on silly sparks sometimes , but its just i dont know and if i guess , which is all i done, i stand to be corrected, now chin up you aint that old

Reply to Upgrade of fat braid main earth conductor in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock