Discuss Upgrade of light system in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

M

mathias

Hello,
We are upgrading the light circuits in an industrial area. The excising lights are old fluorescent lights.
For the new ones it has been suggested to use a light with the following properties:
T8 fluorescent light 230 V,2x36W., High frequency ballast electronic starter, given inrush peak 30 A for 500 us,

The supply is a 3 phase 400 V TN(3 phases and N). Protected by a MCB C6 (4 phases) There is quite long cable so the minimum short circuit current at the end is quite low(around 65 A). Totality there are 21 lamps, each off them connect between one phase and N. Distributed evenly between the phases so the load current is about 2,2 A.

I have some elements that I am unsure about and would be most grateful to get some input.

*To verify that MCB can withstand the inrush current I have used the peak withstand curve from the manufacturer and the given inrush from the lamp datasheet. Have anyone experience that calculations according to thees curves fit with reality or do you have to account for some extra margin?

*What would happen in the N phase during inrush? I have assumed that the inrush would be time shifted(correct?) but would this cause any problems in N leader. I can add that I don't have much margin before the MCB would trip.

* As I have read due to voltage drop during start-up(caused by inrush) the electronic gear can go in to protect mode and block. How do you do any calculations on this are there any rule of thumb? The stationary voltage drop is off course very low(may be 1 % due the low current).

* Harmonic currents in the n leader. This is a known problem in fluorescent light systems. Is there any thumb rule about how much current to be expected?

Me neither, out of interest wher are you from? oh and welcome:welcome:

Start up current for fluorescents is I believe 1.8 times the normal operating current.
You may have to use a 'C' type MCB rather than a 'B' type.
Depending upon how. Any fittings are being installed, you may need to use one or more 3 phase contractors fed from a normal light switch/s.
Never found harmonics to be a problem with light fittings.

Reply to Upgrade of light system in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock