Discuss Upgrades to fuse board supply in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Alright folks.
Just wantin to run something by you all. Have been in a property to wire a bathroom and do a fuse board upgrade. The existing fuse board is in a cupboard upstairs, connected to the cut out outside by a 16mm twin and earth and seperate 10mm cpc, approximately 12 metres of cable run. Im going to be leaving in the 16mm twin and just upgrading the 10mm to a 16mm seperate earth. My query is regarding protection of the 16mm twin feeding the fuse board. Im going to have to put in an isolator of some sorts but should this be an rcd? At this stage i cant see how the cable is run so have to assume at some point it will be less than 50mm from surface. If it should be an rcd would i be better with 100ma to avoid it nuisance tripping whole property?
Thanks in advance for any input

You cant use a 100mA RCD if a 30mA one is required.

12M is a fair old run. Has it not got a fused switch already then?

You cant use a 100mA RCD if a 30mA one is required.

12M is a fair old run. Has it not got a fused switch already then?

No theres no fused switch in place already. Installation is untouched since it went in 40 years ago by look of things

Alright folks.
Just wantin to run something by you all. Have been in a property to wire a bathroom and do a fuse board upgrade. The existing fuse board is in a cupboard upstairs, connected to the cut out outside by a 16mm twin and earth and seperate 10mm cpc, approximately 12 metres of cable run. Im going to be leaving in the 16mm twin and just upgrading the 10mm to a 16mm seperate earth. My query is regarding protection of the 16mm twin feeding the fuse board. Im going to have to put in an isolator of some sorts but should this be an rcd? At this stage i cant see how the cable is run so have to assume at some point it will be less than 50mm from surface. If it should be an rcd would i be better with 100ma to avoid it nuisance tripping whole property?
Thanks in advance for any input
Absolutely not Panda.
Just imagine those tails in the wall being drilled into without 30mA protection, the customer is going to easily get a lethal electric shock from 100mA.
However, I would also not be fitting a 30mA Main switch in the switched fuse as that would not meet the regs and be a right pain for the customer.
I would either use 16mm SWA instead of tails although SWA can be a right pain so I would also consider mechanical protection for the tails (see link below).
You could also try and fit a socket or similar in the same run as the tails on the wall as then the tails would be in an electrical zone, although that would not strictly be needed if you added mechanical protection.
Last option would be to run the tails in conduit out side the house and up to the first floor.
With all these options I would still tend to install a 100mA S type RCD as part of the switched fuse.

As above, getting involved with the sub is going to be a can of worms. Providing additional protection to a buried cable by means of a 30ma RCD would be a breach of regulations. If you cannot install a new sub in surface wiring, or a flush cable with earthed steel protection, is just leaving it as it is and doing your fuseboard change without touching the sub an option?

As above, getting involved with the sub is going to be a can of worms. Providing additional protection to a buried cable by means of a 30ma RCD would be a breach of regulations. If you cannot install a new sub in surface wiring, or a flush cable with earthed steel protection, is just leaving it as it is and doing your fuseboard change without touching the sub an option?

Id love to just leave as is but dont think thats an option. I get the impression the customer thinks im at it when i approched the subject. I think at the very least im going to have to get a 16mm earth to the board from the cut out so if im going to that effort im as well trying to replace the whole supply with something armoured. Pain in the arse

I assume main protective bonds are connected from the board and 10mm is likely to be large enough to support them. You will need circuit protection for the submain so this will effectively become a cpc.

Reply to Upgrades to fuse board supply in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock