Discuss Upgrading Cooker Query in the Electrical Appliances Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Rustiness

DIY
Reaction score
Hello all, thanks for checking out this post.

I’m just after a bit advice today. I’ve got a very limited knowledge of electrical installation from a couple of C&G courses I completed after leaving school. I didn’t pursue that career and it’s been a good 7 years so I think we can write that knowledge off.

We’re looking to upgrade our dated gas cooker to an all electric one and I just wanted to seek a bit of advice before Currys try and sell me a service I may not need.

I will attach the relevant pictures to help explain myself.

So our current cooker is plugged into a socket next to a big red cooker switch but this switch doesn’t actually do anything. There is also a blank single faceplate behind the cooker. Am I correct in assuming that our cooker, at the moment, is just plugged into a standard plug socket and that big red switch controls power to the blank faceplate currently not in use?

As you can see in the pictures there is a dedicated 32a breaker in the fuse board for the cooker.

I suppose my question is: is it as simple as hard wiring the new unit into that faceplate behind the cooker and capping off the old gas line?

Here’s the unit we’re looking at installing if you need specifications:

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/house...55-cm-electric-cooker-black-10187041-pdt.html

Thanks again.

Attachments

• Upgrading Cooker Query 9D47BE87-FB1C-4823-A7EC-234F7E618138 - EletriciansForums.net
    9D47BE87-FB1C-4823-A7EC-234F7E618138.jpeg
    161 KB · Views: 17
  • Upgrading Cooker Query D164CE90-A3D4-420A-94DA-8EBA5F56CF00 - EletriciansForums.net
    D164CE90-A3D4-420A-94DA-8EBA5F56CF00.jpeg
    57.4 KB · Views: 17
  • Upgrading Cooker Query 35D49BA0-FC25-4447-9175-2F5E40C10AF9 - EletriciansForums.net
    35D49BA0-FC25-4447-9175-2F5E40C10AF9.jpeg
    168.1 KB · Views: 17
Yes, looks to be as simple as that. Obviously making sure to fit the correct size and type of cable from the outlet plate to the cooker. And making sure the cable is secured in the outlet plate by the cable grip.
The cooker instruction book often has this information.

agree. may jus be a simple case of hard wiring new cooker into cooker outlet that comes off the 45A switch.

Thanks very much for the advice! It seems odd to me that my current gas cooker is just plugged into a standard socket, is that safe? Do you think they installed a cooker outlet as well as a gas line to give you options in the future or should my current cooker be hardwired in too?

Thanks.

Thanks very much for the advice! It seems odd to me that my current gas cooker is just plugged into a standard socket, is that safe? Do you think they installed a cooker outlet as well as a gas line to give you options in the future or should my current cooker be hardwired in too?

Thanks.
If your current gas cooker has a gas oven... then the electrical supply will be for just lights/ignition.. so that's very low power and will be fine on a standard 13A plug top. Indeed, most single cavity electric ovens that I've seen are also fine on a 13A plug top too (read MIs though). It's only higher powered appliances that will need to be hardwired.

That lead creeping out of the back of the cooker and snaking up to the socket is a different matter though...

If your current gas cooker has a gas oven... then the electrical supply will be for just lights/ignition.. so that's very low power and will be fine on a standard 13A plug top. Indeed, most single cavity electric ovens that I've seen are also fine on a 13A plug top too (read MIs though). It's only higher powered appliances that will need to be hardwired.

That lead creeping out of the back of the cooker and snaking up to the socket is a different matter though...
Yeah there’s a few things around the house which look like they’ve been bodged to be honest.

Thanks for the help everyone I’m satisfied with what has to be done. Through google searches I’ve found that you need a gas safe engineer to do the capping of the gas line so don’t fancy invalidating my house insurance on that one.

Thanks again.

Reply to Upgrading Cooker Query in the Electrical Appliances Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock